From: Coby Beck
Subject: Re: why Haskell hasn't replaced CL yet?
I think this groups sees enough pointless bickering without some airheaded
and totally transparent attempt to "swat the hornet's nest"

I would be quite surprised if Erik takes your bait.

Coby

From: Christopher Browne
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Coby Beck would say:
>Xah <···@xahlee.org> wrote in message ······················@xahlee.org...
>> this message is for doctor Naggum.
>>
>> why Haskell or Dylan hasn't replaced CL yet?
>
>I think this groups sees enough pointless bickering without some
>airheaded and totally transparent attempt to "swat the hornet's
>nest"
>
>I would be quite surprised if Erik takes your bait.

#erik would be pretty stupid to do so; the .signature below is a
useful retort.

Dylan has the merit of having some of the same designers behind it
that were behind CL, and in having the clean slate that CL didn't
have.  Unfortunately, that lack of "legacy" means that there was no
code to port to it.

And I'm surprised that Haskell is being promoted; the "truly, and
almost purely, functional" language that has actually grown to have
multiple implementations and to have potent development tools seems
instead to be ML.  OCAML does look rather interesting, and there are
actually some *somewhat* meaningful applications written in it.

But arguing over it leads to "dung fights," and the given is that in
such battles, everyone involves winds up smelling really bad.
--
"Bawden is misinformed.  Common Lisp has no philosophy.  We are held
together only by a shared disgust for all the alternatives."