From: athota
Subject: can we call lisp from java?
hi
  is it possible to call lisp from java and vice versa? if so, how do i
go about it?
i need to use that in my project . and the project deadline is fast
approaching!

please help me out!!
any help is highly appreciated!!!

akki

From: Steve Long
Subject: Re: can we call lisp from java?
The ability for a Lisp def to talk to a Java could keep the language
alive a little longer. It is an absolutely essential capability for
talking to applications such as Oracle when you are talking about moving
massive amounts of data, as back-dooring with a C interface is the only
way to fly.

sl
From: David Bakhash
"David J. Cooper" <·······@genworks.com> writes:

> Steve Long wrote:
> >
> > The ability for a Lisp def to talk to a Java could keep the language
> > alive a little longer.
> >

> Yeah, we definitely need a few breakthroughs like this to keep Java alive
> a little longer.
>
>  -dave

I agree :^)

dave
From: Steve Long
This is the fifth bad sentence that I've written to a n.g. in two days, but
at least you had some fun with it.

sl

From: David Bakhash
Steve Long <·········@isomedia.com> writes:

> > > Yeah, we definitely need a few breakthroughs like this to keep Java alive
> > > a little longer.

> This is the fifth bad sentence that I've written to a n.g. in two days, but
> at least you had some fun with it.

you mean that you didn't mean what you wrote?

:(

dave
From: ···········@my-deja.com
I frequently call external programs from
Java using Runtime.exec(...)

From Java, you write to standard input of
the spawned program, and read from the spawned
program's standard out and/or standard error.
When I first did this a few years ago, it seemed
like a kluge, but it is very convenient, so I
keep using this technique!

- Mark Watson, author & AI hacker :-)
- www.markwatson.com

In article <·················@isomedia.com>,
  ·········@isomedia.com wrote:
> The ability for a Lisp def to talk to a Java could keep the language
> alive a little longer. It is an absolutely essential capability for
> talking to applications such as Oracle when you are talking about
moving
> massive amounts of data, as back-dooring with a C interface is the
only
> way to fly.
>
> sl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Fernando
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:01:11 -0600, athota <······@memphis.edu> wrote:

>hi
>  is it possible to call lisp from java and vice versa? if so, how do i
>go about it?
>i need to use that in my project . and the project deadline is fast
>approaching!
>
>please help me out!!
>any help is highly appreciated!!!

I think that Franz is working on some java/lisp integration tools.
Ask them.

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//	frr at mindless dot com
From: Eugene Zaikonnikov
> go about it?
> i need to use that in my project . and the project deadline is fast
> approaching!

Try searching this newsgroup on deja.com for keyword 'Java'. Here were
few threads about it while ago.

--
  Eugene.

From: Jason Trenouth
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:01:11 -0600, athota <······@memphis.edu> wrote:

> hi
>   is it possible to call lisp from java and vice versa? if so, how do i
> go about it?
> i need to use that in my project . and the project deadline is fast
> approaching!
>
> please help me out!!
> any help is highly appreciated!!!

In general it depends on how much information you want to pass between them,
how often the interface is expected to change, whether the programs might be on
different machines etc etc. However, using CORBA is pretty straightforward and
it will scale up. Using CORBA means that the Lisp and Java programs make and
receive natural-looking calls.

__Jason