From: H Elmer
Subject: newbie question about free implementations
Hi List!

I hardly ever post here because I'm such a newbie to lisp, but pop in
now and again from deja w/ a question.

I'm slowly learning lisp using ANSI Common Lisp (got recommendation
here), Common LISP Workbook and the Episodic Learner Model Adaptive
Remote Tutor (ELM-ART):

http://www.psychologie.uni-trier.de:8000/elmart
(I think this site is running under a lisp web server too!)

Anyway, now I need to type some code, not very advanced, and I want to
know what the most recent free distribution of a lisp implemtation for a
PC is.

I'm assuming Franz's is the best commercial version around.

If you have comments about the same questions for a Mac (= home studio)
I'd appreciate those too (I'm posting on comp.lang.lisp.mcl too).

Thanks in Advance,

'H' (Howard) Elmer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Eugene Zaikonnikov
Subject: Re: newbie question about free implementations
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  H Elmer <··········@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Anyway, now I need to type some code, not very advanced, and I want to
> know what the most recent free distribution of a lisp implemtation
for a
> PC is.

Take a look on CLISP and CMUCL at http://www.cons.org
To my mind, the former is better for beginners. If you work under
Windows, Corman Lisp (free for personal use) is also an option. See
http://www.corman.net.

> I'm assuming Franz's is the best commercial version around.

Both Franz and Harlequin trial versions will provide you enough
functionality for self-education tasks.

> If you have comments about the same questions for a Mac (= home
studio)
> I'd appreciate those too (I'm posting on comp.lang.lisp.mcl too).

Take a look at http://www.digitool.com, they sell MCL to students IIRC
just for $85. You can also get PowerLisp from corman.net, though it is
no longer supported.

Hope this helps,
      Eugene Zaikonnikov.