From: SRS
Subject: write-linebug?
In Xanalys LispWorks, the function write-line does not return its
argument string as its value, but simply returns nil. CLtS mandates
othrwise, so is this a bug?

Thanks in advance,

-- SRS

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

From: Sunil Mishra
Subject: Re: write-linebug?
What version of lispworks are you using? On 4.1,

CL-USER 1 > (write-line "foo")
foo
"foo"

Looks good to me.

From: Geoff Summerhayes
Returns nil for me too, I am using 4.1 personal edition for windows.
Looks like a bug.

Geoff

·····················@everest.com...

From: Lieven Marchand
"Geoff Summerhayes" <·············@hNoOtSmPaAiMl.com> writes:

> Returns nil for me too, I am using 4.1 personal edition for windows.
> Looks like a bug.

4.1.19 on Linux also has the bug.

--
Lieven Marchand <···@bewoner.dma.be>
Lambda calculus - Call us a mad club
From: Sunil Mishra
Lieven Marchand wrote:

> "Geoff Summerhayes" <·············@hNoOtSmPaAiMl.com> writes:
>

>> Returns nil for me too, I am using 4.1 personal edition for windows.
>> Looks like a bug.
>>

> 4.1.19 on Linux also has the bug.

4.1.19 on linux (enterprise) is what I'm using. Trying again...

CL-USER 1 > (setq foo (write-line "foo"))
foo
"foo"

CL-USER 2 > foo

"foo"

It is likely that this was patched by lispworks since the 4.1.00
release, but I don't see any reason why two 4.1.19's should differ...
Even if one turns out to be enterprise and the other not. This is not
where the enterprise-ness should manifest.

I'm assuming you downloaded the patches on the lispworks web site. Did
you save a 4.1.19 image from that? Are you using the lispworks
environment? (I saved an image, and am not using the environment, though
the environment should not make a difference either.)

Otherwise, the only suggestion I have is to submit a bug report.

LW PE users might be out of luck...

Sunil
From: Lieven Marchand
Sunil Mishra <············@everest.com> writes:

> Lieven Marchand wrote:
>
> > "Geoff Summerhayes" <·············@hNoOtSmPaAiMl.com> writes:
> >

> >> Returns nil for me too, I am using 4.1 personal edition for windows.
> >> Looks like a bug.
> >>

> > 4.1.19 on Linux also has the bug.
>
> 4.1.19 on linux (enterprise) is what I'm using. Trying again...
>

> CL-USER 1 > (setq foo (write-line "foo"))
> foo
> "foo"
>
> CL-USER 2 > foo
>
> "foo"
>
> It is likely that this was patched by lispworks since the 4.1.00
> release, but I don't see any reason why two 4.1.19's should differ...
> Even if one turns out to be enterprise and the other not. This is not
> where the enterprise-ness should manifest.
>
> I'm assuming you downloaded the patches on the lispworks web site. Did
> you save a 4.1.19 image from that? Are you using the lispworks
> environment? (I saved an image, and am not using the environment, though
> the environment should not make a difference either.)
>
> Otherwise, the only suggestion I have is to submit a bug report.

I'm using 4.1.19 on linux (professional).

I downloaded the 19 patchset and dumped an image. I'm using the
environment.

The problem is there in this setup:

CL-USER 4 > (lisp-implementation-version)

"4.1.19"

CL-USER 5 > (write-line "foo")
foo
NIL

> LW PE users might be out of luck...

Well, it's fairly trivial to ADVISE around it for those who depend on
the behaviour.

From: Sunil Mishra

> I'm using 4.1.19 on linux (professional).
>
> I downloaded the 19 patchset and dumped an image. I'm using the
> environment.
>
> The problem is there in this setup:
>
> CL-USER 4 > (lisp-implementation-version)
>
> "4.1.19"
>
> CL-USER 5 > (write-line "foo")
> foo
> NIL

Looks like lispworks has a strange configuration issue between
professional and enterprise versions. Surprises never cease.

Sunil
From: Marc Battyani
"Sunil Mishra" <············@everest.com> wrote in message
·····················@everest.com...

> > I'm using 4.1.19 on linux (professional).
> >
> > I downloaded the 19 patchset and dumped an image. I'm using the
> > environment.
> >
> > The problem is there in this setup:
> >
> > CL-USER 4 > (lisp-implementation-version)
> >
> > "4.1.19"
> >
> > CL-USER 5 > (write-line "foo")
> > foo
> > NIL
>
> Looks like lispworks has a strange configuration issue between
> professional and enterprise versions. Surprises never cease.

Linux Entreprise Edition:

FRACTAL-WEB 274 > (write-line "foo")
foo
NIL

FRACTAL-WEB 275 > (lisp-implementation-version)
"4.1.19"

Windows Professional edition:

CL-USER 1 > (write-line "foo")

foo
nil

CL-USER 2 > (lisp-implementation-version)

"4.1.19"

Marc
From: Sunil Mishra
Marc Battyani wrote:

> "Sunil Mishra" <············@everest.com> wrote in message
> ·····················@everest.com...
>
>>> I'm using 4.1.19 on linux (professional).
>>>
>>> I downloaded the 19 patchset and dumped an image. I'm using the
>>> environment.
>>>
>>> The problem is there in this setup:
>>>
>>> CL-USER 4 > (lisp-implementation-version)
>>>
>>> "4.1.19"
>>>
>>> CL-USER 5 > (write-line "foo")
>>> foo
>>> NIL
>>
>> Looks like lispworks has a strange configuration issue between
>> professional and enterprise versions. Surprises never cease.
>

> Linux Entreprise Edition:
>
> FRACTAL-WEB 274 > (write-line "foo")
> foo
> NIL
>
> FRACTAL-WEB 275 > (lisp-implementation-version)
> "4.1.19"
>
> Windows Professional edition:
>
> CL-USER 1 > (write-line "foo")
>
> foo
> nil
>
> CL-USER 2 > (lisp-implementation-version)
>
> "4.1.19"
>
> Marc

I think I have finally figured out what's going on. In the lw GUI
environment:

CL-USER 1 > (write-line "foo")
foo
NIL

In the regular tty:

CL-USER 2 > (write-line "foo")
foo
"foo"

For whatever reason (which ought to be reported as a bug) the GUI
environment is eating up the return value from write-line.

Sunil
From: romeo bernardi
FWIW:

CL-USER 17 : 1 > (write-line "pippo")
pippo
"pippo"

CL-USER 18 : 1 > (lisp-implementation-version)
"4.1.20"

CL-USER 19 : 1 > (lisp-implementation-type)
"LispWorks Personal Edition"

CL-USER 20 : 1 > (software-type)
"Windows"
From: Hartmann Schaffer
In article <······················@news1.tin.it>, romeo bernardi wrote:

>FWIW:
>
>CL-USER 17 : 1 > (write-line "pippo")
>pippo
>"pippo"

what did you expect?

hs
From: Howard Ding
Prior to 4.1.20 Lispworks didn't handle this correctly - it returned nil
from write-line. Perhaps he was pointing out that it has been corrected.

--
Howard Ding
······@worldnet.att.net