From: akhar
Subject: I wanted to know what is th difference between lisp and prolog
I wanted to know what is th difference between lisp and prolog ie strenghts
and downs of each? I have not yet decided which to learn first and I am
interested in interfacing them with C++ or python. What book web pages
should  I read??

Regards

Stephane Jolicoeur

From: Will Deakin
akhar wrote:

> I wanted to know what is th difference between lisp and prolog ie strenghts
> and downs of each?
Try PAIP -- see www.norvig.com/paip -- an excellent read in which a
basic Prolog is implemented in Lisp.

Although I have never used, you may find poplog of interest:
www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/poplog.info.html

> What book web pages should  I read??
The www.alu.org/table/contents.htm site has alot of good pointers.

Cheers,

:)will
From: Fernando Rodr�guez
On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 01:19:16 -0500, "akhar" <·····@videotron.ca> wrote:

>I wanted to know what is th difference between lisp and prolog ie strenghts
>and downs of each? I have not yet decided which to learn first and I am

Lisp is more flexible so I think that learning Lisp first and then Prolog is
the best (you'll have a more generic tool first).

These are 2 free tutorials:

Lisp: http://psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/html/contents.html
http://grimpeur.tamu.edu/~colin/lp/
Prolog: http://www.amzi.com/AdventureInProlog/advfrtop.htm

Both should interface well with C++ if you use COM (see corman lisp and the
Amzi logic server).  I'm not sure about Python, but I think that the win32
(since you're using outlook, I'm asuming you'll be using windows) has com
support.

PS For doing prolog stuff in Lisp the book recommend by Will is IMHO the best.

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//	frr at mindless dot com
From: Bart Demoen
In article <··································@4ax.com>,
 Fernando Rodr�guez <·······@must.die> writes:
|> On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 01:19:16 -0500, "akhar" <·····@videotron.ca> wrote:
|>
|> >I wanted to know what is th difference between lisp and prolog ie strenghts
|> >and downs of each? I have not yet decided which to learn first and I am
|>
|> Lisp is more flexible so I think that learning Lisp first and then Prolog is
|> the best (you'll have a more generic tool first).

As functional programming is a subset of logic programming ...

no, let me restart this ...

as going from logic programming to functional programming will feel like
cutting off some useful limbs ...

no, this is not working ...

Fernando's suggestion to learn first Lisp, and then Prolog, is ok.
However, once you know Lisp, don't forget to really learn Prolog and
not merely use Prolog syntax for Lisp programming.

Cheers

Bart Demoen
From: Frankey
akhar wrote:

> I wanted to know what is th difference between lisp and prolog ...
The difference is they are two different languages with nothing in common.

> ...ie strenghts and downs of each?
Prolog is not really a language. It's an inference engine with a user interface to stuff
the database with rules and query it thereafter. Whereas Lisp is a full-blown programming
language, though a very queer one.

> I have not yet decided which to learn first ...
Well, like humpty dumpty said, which way to go depends a lot on where you wanna get... and
if you don't care about the destination, then the road you take doesn't matter. Flip a
coin <g>.

The FAQ probably, http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html

From: Bart Demoen
In article <·················@worldnet.att.net>,
 Frankey <···········@worldnet.att.net> writes:
|> akhar wrote:
|> >
|> > I wanted to know what is th difference between lisp and prolog ...
|> The difference is they are two different languages with nothing in common.
|>
|> > ...ie strenghts and downs of each?
|> Prolog is not really a language.

It is really a language - it has an ISO standard.
Maybe you should check out the FAQ.

OTOH, Prolog is more than a language - it is a way of living :-)

Bart Demoen
From: Reini Urban
Bart Demoen wrote:
> OTOH, Prolog is more than a language - it is a way of living :-)

I confirm that.
A weird friend of mine uses prolog as general purpose language.
he does no AI at all. mainly statistics and perl-like stuff.

but it is impossible to speak with him, because of
his special "asswards way" of thinking ...
he doesn't care at all about complexity or "ways to do", he just
analyzes and abstracts. totally weird.
i call him "lost in backtracking", you know what he calls me...
--
Reini Urban
From: ··········@my-deja.com
Subject: lisp and prolog they are
Lisp and Projog has become taken ober by those who control.

Beeware of theose who are watching.

There is an outer system and an inner system.

Everybody is in the outer system.

Not everybody is in the inner system.

Those in the inner system control the outer system or what we call
society.

Those in the inner system control all major media and what is
known as "culture"__therefor, those on the inside control what is
perceived as reality. i.e. O.J. could have been set-up!

The inner system owns all major media and uses the media as a
  protection device and a device to threaten society.

The media is used to target those on the outside("strangers" term
used in wordspeak)
 or those sympathetic with them__usally to threaten them
into complacency or to confuse them___the system attacked me using
explicit media targeting___concrete proof is available.

Those inside conrol a vast majority of businesses in the U.S., many
insiders
are employed by the government.

Those inside use psychiatry and the media as a protection buffer which
prevents the truth concerning their society from getting into print.
The rules of societal reality don't apply___insiders create
false realities buy breaking rules of society:   Burning the engineering
student's body after he was fired from the Army and chased back to NJ
in
1989, The burning of the students inner thighs unitl they bled__without
any
physical contact to his legs(high technology) when he was producing a
tv show
in Vermont(1995).
Psychiatry and Psychology were developed as protective devices.
When an outsider gets attacked by those inside the system the
symptoms are the same as those defined as paranoid pschizophrenia____
now you know why the diagnosis/illness was created___the insiders do
not want their secrets revealed to the masses; the insiders destroy
people in order
to maintain their secret society/secret system.
Characteristics of Insiders___high tech. control technology and media
control.

Those inside the system have the capability to manipulate outsiders
into virtually any situation possible___they set-up the
engineeringstudent.

Communication capablities that are thought to be futuristic
but have existed for a long time(their telepathic__i.e. they are
connected).

Surveillance technology that is thought to be futuristic
but also has existed for a long time. If the insiders "commit you
in their system this means you are always under surveillance".

High Tech weaponry___ability to "fry" outsiders causing burning of
skin, and/or mental confusion; mind control technology has been
perfected
by the insiders___these are considered "human control technologies".
Insiders as Terrorists
Those on the inside are terrorists and are responsible for many

"so called" transportation accidents and bombings___these alleged
accidents, and/or terrorist acts
are utilized to threaten the outsiders__i.e., they threaten those who
want the truth revealed to the rest of
the  population. Lockerbie(Pan American)  and TWA  flight 800 are
examples of retaliation by the insiders
trying to protect their system. (Is there definitative fact?___if
enough research/investigation, with the knowledge of how the
system works, is performed___then yes, the facts can be obtained that
point to those controlling the system.
You must remember that loss of human life is immaterial to these
people___their interest is in money and power___
with these you can control what we know as society.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
From: ··········@my-deja.com
Subject: energy is changing : lisp and prolog
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  ··········@my-deja.com wrote:
> Lisp and Projog has become taken ober by those who control.
> Beware of theose who are watching.
> There is an outer system and an inner system.
> Everybody is in the outer system.
> Not everybody is in the inner system.

Be careful......................
Lisp and Prolog are often dismissed but THERE IS EVIDENCE.
George Hehir-Clostha referred to Lisp and Prolog as Atlantean arefacts
cast into the world mind.

The energy is changing and I am hoping we can have some input into
crafting that energy more the way we would like it.

It seems to me that light energy understanding is key to moving the
energy in a positive direction, and I believe a closer look at the
thermodynamics  at work in these ancient civilizations will provide us
with valuable clues as to how we can shape our entropic computational
with all love and light.

Heisenberg's ancient scrolls can of course be viwed as an early attempt
to fractalise the stochastic.

Now the web has fractalised the pipelined endoarchitecture and the post-
semitiotic Semitics have brought us into a new awareness of light.

Is Lisp the true Way ?
I seem to glimpse the true CLOS in the mists.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
From: Tom Breton
Subject: Re: energy is changing : lisp and prolog
··········@my-deja.com writes:

> In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   ··········@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > Lisp and Projog has become taken ober by those who control.
> > Beware of theose who are watching.
> > There is an outer system and an inner system.
> > Everybody is in the outer system.
> > Not everybody is in the inner system.
>
> Be careful......................
> Lisp and Prolog are often dismissed but THERE IS EVIDENCE.

It's true, everyone!

I was in a supermarket checkout line, and as I was waiting I was
reading some stuff in emacs, and suddenly I realize I was staring at
Lisp!  I tried to get its attention, and Lisp, which was calling
itself "Elisp" or possibly "Elpis", said to me:

        "C-h (Type ? for further options)-"

I saw Elpis in the checkout line at the supermarket!

--
Tom Breton, http://world.std.com/~tob
Not using "gh" 1997-2000. http://world.std.com/~tob/ugh-free.html