From: ed leach
Subject: lisp used in internet development?
I am a web site developer who is interested in learning more about Lisp.
Right now I use Active Server Pages on an NT server for dynamic web
pages, and Director and Flash for games. Does Lisp have any place in web
site development? If so, how is it used?

Thanks,

- Ed

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: lisp used in internet development?
In article <·················@lyrick.com>, ed leach <······@lyrick.com>
wrote:

> I am a web site developer who is interested in learning more about Lisp.
> Right now I use Active Server Pages on an NT server for dynamic web
> pages, and Director and Flash for games. Does Lisp have any place in web
> site development? If so, how is it used?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Ed

See for example the "Common Lisp Hypermedia Server" which
has been in a number of projects. It runs for example
http://www.pub.whitehouse.gov/ .

See :
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: ·············@corporate-world.lisp.de
From: ········@hex.net
ed> I am a web site developer who is interested in learning more about
ed> Lisp.  Right now I use Active Server Pages on an NT server for
ed> dynamic web pages, and Director and Flash for games. Does Lisp
ed> have any place in web site development? If so, how is it used?

It should be pointed out that virtually any language presently in
existence can and probably has been used for web applications.

TRAC <http://www.trac-language.org/> is a likely exception that is
marginally Lisp-related in that it's a _strongly_ macro-oriented
language :-).

On the "Obscure and Used" list would fall APL and ICON [successor to
Snobol]; while APL has been used for web apps, it seems to me as an
unlikely candidate.  In contrast, ICON, as a language designed with a
multitude of operations for processing strings, would seem a natural
candidate for web work.  This is described at the (well-worthy of
attention) page at <http://ringer.cs.utsa.edu/research/icon/cgi.html>.
I seriously doubt anyone outside of the University of Arizona is
hiring in that area, though :-(.

At any rate, this digresses from relevance to _Lisp_.

Relevant links would include:

- <http://www.cs.auc.dk/~normark/laml/> LAML - Lisp As a Markup
  Language, which uses Scheme.

  This system allows the user to write documents as Scheme programs,
  which then transform themselves into HTML documents.  This allows
  documents to become somewhat "more intelligent;" the document can
  contain Scheme code to compute things.

- <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/> CLiki - A WikiWiki implemented in
  Common Lisp has a section on web apps that use Common Lisp, at
  <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Web>.

  "CLiki pages can be edited by anybody at any time."

- There are several Web servers that allow Lisp to fill a roughly
  similar role to that which things like ASP, PHP, Perl, Python play
  with web servers like IIS or Apache.

  AllegroServe <http://allegroserve.sourceforge.net/> allows
  generating dynamic and static web content using Allegro Common Lisp.

  Araneida <http://araneida.telent.net/> is a web server implemented
  in Common Lisp using CMU/CL; CLiki is implemented atop Araneida.

  Generative Web Language <http://sourceforge.net/projects/gwl/> uses
  a tree of CL objects to represent a tree of pages in a web
  application;

  Http.lsp <http://www-aig.jpl.nasa.gov/public/home/gat/ftp/http.lsp>
  is a simple web server written for use with CLISP.

  IMHO <http://alpha.onshore.com/lisp-software/> is a toolkit that
  provides a "loose functional equivalent of Apple's WebObjects
  framework."  Which would make it a fair bit more sophisticated than
  ASP/IIS :-).

  Lisp Server Pages <http://lsp.everest.com/> works with AllegroServe,
  and appears intended to make you think of other systems that use the
  suffix "Server Pages." :-)
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@hex.net")
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
From: Joe Marshall
········@hex.net writes:

> ed> I am a web site developer who is interested in learning more about
> ed> Lisp.  Right now I use Active Server Pages on an NT server for
> ed> dynamic web pages, and Director and Flash for games. Does Lisp
> ed> have any place in web site development? If so, how is it used?
>
> It should be pointed out that virtually any language presently in
> existence can and probably has been used for web applications.

Where can I get the Intercal version?

From: Erik Winkels

http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/intercal/ins/insstart.html
From: Marco Antoniotti
ed leach <······@lyrick.com> writes:

> I am a web site developer who is interested in learning more about Lisp.
> Right now I use Active Server Pages on an NT server for dynamic web
> pages, and Director and Flash for games. Does Lisp have any place in web
> site development? If so, how is it used?

Do your pages work on Netscape?

Cheers

--
Marco Antoniotti =============================================================
NYU Bioinformatics Group			 tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
From: ed leach
Everything we do has to work across Netscape and IE browsers.

- Ed

------

From: Marco Antoniotti
ed leach <······@lyrick.com> writes:

> Everything we do has to work across Netscape and IE browsers.

An enlightned mind!

From: Marc Battyani
"ed leach" <······@lyrick.com> wrote in message
······················@lyrick.com...
> I am a web site developer who is interested in learning more about Lisp.
> Right now I use Active Server Pages on an NT server for dynamic web
> pages, and Director and Flash for games. Does Lisp have any place in web
> site development? If so, how is it used?

I just released mod_lisp, an Apache module to write web applications in
Lisp.
It works well under NT/W2000. (there is a precompiled DLL, as well as
precompiled .so for FreeBSD and Linux)
it's at www.fractalconcept.com you will need Apache at www.apache.org.

Marc
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:49:15 -0600, ed leach <······@lyrick.com> wrote:

> pages, and Director and Flash for games. Does Lisp have any place in web
> site development? If so, how is it used?

If you are interested in discussing these issues further, you may join the
Lispweb mailing list:

Paolo
From: Craig Brozefsky
ed leach <······@lyrick.com> writes:

> I am a web site developer who is interested in learning more about Lisp.
> Right now I use Active Server Pages on an NT server for dynamic web
> pages, and Director and Flash for games. Does Lisp have any place in web
> site development? If so, how is it used?

It sure does.

See http://alpha.onshore.com/lisp-software

We have developed a very sophisticated resource scheduling system
using IMHO, our Common Lisp toolkit for web application development
and UncommonSQL, our implementation of the SQL package for Common
Lisp.  Both of those toolkits are available as Free Software.  Our
application includes very tight java applet integration with the
Common Lisp backend, including serialization of lisp data into Java
objects.

Lisp's dynamic recompilation, debugging support, and sophisticated
development environment really work to speedup web development time.
No more restarting your application server or re-compiling and
re-linking when you make a change.  When you add the macro system,
CLOS, and the meta-object protocol you get an environment that really
has no equal amongst the commecial web development toolkits.

Another thing which really has me excited about Common Lisp's
prospects in web development is that there are several projects with
different approaches to the problem, ranging from cl-http to mod_lisp
and several things in between.  Different approaches suit different
applications, so people wanting to use Common Lisp have a choice.

--
Craig Brozefsky                   <·····@red-bean.com>