From: Marc Battyani
Subject: [announce] mod_lisp release 0.9
I finally managed to write a small lisp application to distribute mod_lisp.

I'm open to comments, English correction for the page, etc...

you will find mod_lisp here www.fractalconcept.com. Be patient this is an
ISDN 128 Line. (You won't believe it but It costs me $750 per month!)

Warning mod_lisp has never been really tried before today.

Marc Battyani

From: Marc Battyani
Subject: Re: [announce] mod_lisp release 0.9
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> wrote

> I finally managed to write a small lisp application to distribute
mod_lisp.

> I'm open to comments, English correction for the page, etc...
>
> you will find mod_lisp here www.fractalconcept.com. Be patient this is an
> ISDN 128 Line. (You won't believe it but It costs me $750 per month!)
>
> Warning mod_lisp has never been really tried before today.

Release 0.91 is out. I added a few key values sent to Lisp. Most notably I
had forgotten the METHOD...

Marc
From: israel thomas
Subject: NEWS FLASH : Naggum strikes again ! ( All beware his 20 cent popgun )
>  It is more important to shut Marcus G. Daniels up for good
>  stellar morons like him ... will be crawling all over the place.

>  rotten little bastard as yourself

> remember that it takes ...
> only 4 muscles to work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.

Eric, abuse and insults are usually the result of a limited
vocabulary. As for the not-so-veiled threats in your .sig , I am
terrified..... ( yawn ).

If this is the  Lisp community, I think that I'll stick to Smalltalk
and Java.

( defun (  Lisp ( Lots of Irritating Silly (Pompous ) Pricks) ) )
From: Tom Breton
israel thomas <·······@optushome.com.au> writes:

> Eric, abuse and insults are usually the result of a limited
> vocabulary. As for the not-so-veiled threats in your .sig , I am
> terrified..... ( yawn ).
>
> If this is the  Lisp community, I think that I'll stick to Smalltalk
> and Java.

I can certainly understand how you could feel that way, but please at
least consider that it's just an arrogant clique in cll, and not
representative of the Lisp community (At least I hope it's not
representative).

And I swear it's by no means all of cll.  I and other people here do
not join in with the Naggum Clique, and consciously resist its ~ad
hominem~ atmosphere that pervades cll.

I hasten to add, I'm *not* criticizing those who fite Naggum-fire with
fire.  I draw a big distinction between turning a thread into a
personal attack and giving a personal-attack thread a second side.

> ( defun (  Lisp ( Lots of Irritating Silly (Pompous ) Pricks) ) )

I have to admit this is fairer than the L.I.S.Parentheses thing.

--
Tom Breton, http://world.std.com/~tob
Not using "gh" 1997-2000. http://world.std.com/~tob/ugh-free.html
From: Erik Naggum
* Tom Breton <···@world.std.com>
| I and other people here do not join in with the Naggum Clique, and
| consciously resist its ~ad hominem~ atmosphere that pervades cll.

  Another outsider has spoken.  He is _proud_ to be an outsider to the
  "Naggum Clique", a group he does not want belong to. but that is the
  easiest of all groups not to belong to: it does not even exist outside
  of his own mind.  Imagine how it must be to _create_ groups you want
  to be an outsider to, how much more intrinsically outsider can you get?

  Mark my words: It's always the people who _want_ to remain outsiders.

#:Erik
--
  "When you are having a bad day and it seems like everybody is trying
   to piss you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a
From: Michael Livshin
israel thomas <·······@optushome.com.au> writes:

> If this is the  Lisp community, I think that I'll stick to Smalltalk
> and Java.

excuse me, are you a real person?  'cause if Erik had a need to invent
opponents to justify his posting behavior, he would invent you.

Erik, you still have something to work on: they should vanish
quietly. ;)

--
(only legal replies to this address are accepted)

C program run -- Run program run -- Run, C program, Run! -- (please)
From: israel thomas
>excuse me, are you a real person?  'cause if Erik had a need to invent
>opponents to justify his posting behavior, he would invent you.

No..
I am a virtual function ( Pardon the c++'ism ) :-)
But seriously, every newsgroup has its resident loony.
Unfortunately, this newsgroups resident loony seems to double as it
resident wizard. Just what does that imply about the Lisp community ?
From: Michael Livshin
israel thomas <·······@optushome.com.au> writes:

> >excuse me, are you a real person?  'cause if Erik had a need to invent
> >opponents to justify his posting behavior, he would invent you.
>
> No..

oh.

> Unfortunately, this newsgroups resident loony seems to double as it
> resident wizard. Just what does that imply about the Lisp community ?

that you are really mad at Erik Naggum, for some reason?  that you
like Java and Smalltalk a lot?  that you write nonsense poetry
disguised as Usenet posts?

--
(only legal replies to this address are accepted)

it takes more than not to remember how you did it the last time to be
innovative.                                            -- Erik Naggum
From: Xah Lee
Dear Tom of Israel,

israel thomas <·······@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> But seriously, every newsgroup has its resident loony.

Serious, as if you'd bet your wife and daughter with this statement?

I haven't had sex for a long time.

> Unfortunately, this newsgroups resident loony seems to double as it
> resident wizard. Just what does that imply about the Lisp community ?

From a logician's point of view, the chain of reasoning implies that you are
an ass. (quiz: what's the diff between an ass and a donkey?)

Seriousness aside, i'd like every subject in this newsgroup to contain the
name Naggum. I'm quite infected.

Tom, your problem, and many others too, is foremost that you folks lack a
deep understanding of logic, wisdom, insight -- basically the stuff of
philosophy. Therefore, when you encounter a deviant monster like Naggum, you
got all fucked up an worked out and you were doomed to amply whatever
problem you have in the first place.

Of course, I cannot force you or others to suddenly become sages. I can give
you a generic advise though: Think about what you do, why you do it, its
effects, and whether it is something you like to do. Step outside from your
point of view too. When you are really serious about things, such that you
might bet your wifes and daughters, then at least you'll achieve better
outcome for your intentions. Remember: this is not about ceasing your
interests, but rather betterment of it.

You see, most people don't give a fuck about things philosophy. For the
average people, philosophy is something philosophers do. People act by mores
and tradition. Almost everything they say or do, they won't bet their wifes
and daughters. But, I want you folks to be different for a few days. Start
now, for every little thing you do, say, or even think, do them in such a
serious manner as a your wifes and daughters are in stake. When you lived in
this state for a week, you'll come out a different person with different
perceptions.

Of course, the above takes some serious energy. If you are the run of the
mill Joe, you probably don't want to fucking bother. Indeed. Ignorance is a
bless. I live my life troubled by this and that. I wish i am a brute
concerned about only fucking everyday.

PS conforming to the correctness of political correctness and dedicated to
the awareness of feminism movements, please replace every phrase of 'wifes
and daughter' to 'wives/husbands and daughters/sons'. Monogamy moralists
please replace 'wifes/husbands' to just 'wife/husband'. I aim to appease.

 Xah
 ···@xahlee.org
 http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html
 "Morality abets evil" -- Xah Lee
From: Erik Naggum
* israel thomas <·······@optushome.com.au>
| Eric, abuse and insults are usually the result of a limited vocabulary.

  Trying to explain others based on your family history does not work.

| As for the not-so-veiled threats in your .sig , I am
| terrified..... ( yawn ).

  I hope that one day you will understand the purpose of .signatures and
  will advance to an average USENET reader, your best hope so far.

| If this is the  Lisp community, I think that I'll stick to Smalltalk
| and Java.

  Funny you should talk about communities.  Your posting here makes you
  ipso facto part of the Lisp community.  Outsiders do not _exist_ on
  USENET if they post to the newsgroup.  However, if I were you, I would
  try very hard to escape being considered part of whatever community I
  was part of in your way, too.

  It is quite interesting, actually, how people who break laws and make
  a general nuisance of themselves tend to view themselves and behave as
  outsiders.  There is something in the ability to understand that one
  becomes, or desires to become, a _member_ of a community that prevents
  certain immoral and destructive activities.  People who think they are
  free to remain outsiders feel and probably _have_ no moral obligations
  towards the community and hence can post Marcus G. Danielisms and other
  reprehensible trash _to_ the community.  The inability to feel part of
  a group of people which one has joined is central and fundamental to
  the criminal mind.  It is in fact the _first_ thing that has to be
  instilled in children whom their parents want to become successful in
  the societies they are about to enter as adults.  The feeling of being
  "outside" is the primary cause of a fundamental sense of _rejection_
  that usually never leaves the people who suffer from it.  Every social
  construct is based on this fundamental ability to form relationships
  with other people and actually take _part_ in group activity, i.e., to
  overcome rejection where it might actually exist, because it does, too.
  While the concept of "I" does evolve unaided in children, maturation
  does not occur until the "I" has become able to think in terms of "WE"
  without removing or destroying the "I" that joins some "WE" of the
  "I"'s own _choice_.  Failure to choose the "WE" can lead to loss of
  "I" in many people, as has been found in such at first strange and
  unexpected phenomena as the Stockholm syndrome.  In people who have
  not matured to this social level and who either do not have a "WE"
  concept or think it means obliteration of the "I", we find hostility
  towards _any_ form of authority, real or imagined, as the prevalent
  personality disorder, probably because any authority is deemed an
  enforcer of unwanted and dangerous thoughts that would mean the "WE"
  vanquishes the "I".  This has been thought to explain why teenagers
  rebel against their parents, the "WE" that is the family, and goes as
  far as to explain the high teenage suicide rates among those who
  realize that they have rejected _both_ "WE" _and_ "I" who would end up
  as outsiders to _every_ group, while equally unable to form their own,
  hence lost and utterly lonely and better off dead, in their own mind,
  where nobody cares about them, either.  Outsiders to life in general.

  The concept of "outsider" is why I can write a lot of psychologizing
  and highly damaging comments about Israel Thomas and not feel bad
  about it at all.  He has himself decided to remove himself from that
  circle of people that he respects.  Consequently, I do not have to
  abide by the same sense of obligation towards the community that I
  would have if he had accepted and respected himself as part of that
  community.  The same happened to John Foderaro not long ago when he
  made a remarkably sharp distinction between the rational people who
  saw case issues his way and every deranged lunatic who still wanted
  upper-case symbol names and adherence to the community standard.  I
  only feel regret about the fact that he never understood how he hurt
  the community and how much he hurt me personally through his actions.

  Humans, or any other social simian for that matter, have never been
  nice to outsiders, and we never will, either.  What causes our ability
  to be civil is the idea that somebody who was an outsider may become
  an insider with some effort on both sides.  Marcus G. Daniels doesn't
  believe in such lame bullshit, of course, preferring the no-effort
  option to be the ridiculing asshole outsider with no holds barred and
  no obligation towards anyone else (hence his _periodic_ appearances),
  but this motivates the Israel Thomases of the world to think they join
  _his_ group of hostile outsiders, like people join and remain loyal to
  terrorist groups only as long as they do not actually succeed in
  anything, like getting what they have wanted, after which they fight
  eachother violently, instead.  Of course, the Palestinia Marcuses
  reject the Israel Thomases and everything they do, even though they
  share almost everything, up to and including the same caliber ammo.
  (See?  I can even make fun of their _names_, which would have been
  really tasteless if they had been part of the community and there
  would be even a smidgeon of a chance of them feeling hurt in a way I
  cared about at all, but they are self-defined outsiders, and I am
  prohibited _by_them_ from caring about them, and since I feel like
  playing with these utterly unenjoyable jerks right now, I can do so.
  Man, what would I have _done_ without outsiders?)

| ( defun (  Lisp ( Lots of Irritating Silly (Pompous ) Pricks) ) )

  Well, this _does_ explain your presence here and your need to post,
  but you are mistaken about the number and nature of everybody else.
  You should just send your snide remarks and general idiocy to Marcus
  G. Daniels at <···@forager.swarm.org>.  Since you don't have any
  qualms at all sending proof of your personality disorders to me in
  private and personal communication, and he has no qualms at all
  posting evidence of his deep-rooted anti-social attitude, the two of
  you should be a match made in, uh, wherever, but a good one, I'm sure.

  But, hey, anyone cam make mistakes.  Welcome to the community, Israel!
  (Marcus G. Daniels doesn't make any mistakes, by his own admission.)

#:Erik
From: Marcus G. Daniels

EN> The concept of "outsider" is why I can write a lot of
EN> psychologizing and highly damaging comments about Israel Thomas
EN> and not feel bad about it at all.  He has himself decided to
EN> remove himself from that circle of people that he respects.

He's probably left already, but my impression was that he was evaluating
this community.  It all hinges on the meaning "respect", of course.

EN> Marcus G. Daniels doesn't believe in such lame bullshit, of
EN> course, preferring the no-effort option to be the ridiculing
EN> asshole outsider with no holds barred and no obligation towards
EN> anyone else (hence his _periodic_ appearances)

Many people want to use a programming language simply because it is
useful, or they want to understand better how to make it useful.  This
is a small part of their professional life.  The idea that they are a
part of some community with enforced conformance to one guy's
particular definition of intelligence strikes many as bizarre and
cult-like.  As for me, like many, I don't have much time for Usenet.

EN> Of course, the Palestinia Marcuses reject the Israel Thomases and
EN> everything they do, even though they share almost everything, up
EN> to and including the same caliber ammo.

That is pretty clever, I must admit.
From: Erik Naggum
* Marcus G. Daniels
| The idea that they are a part of some community with enforced
| conformance to one guy's particular definition of intelligence strikes
| many as bizarre and cult-like.

  Yeah, that would be really creepy.  Where do you find such insanity?

  Oh, I'm sorry, it's your favorite fantasy about other people, whom you
  have made no effort whatsoever to understand beyond your own precepts,
  but as I keep telling those who work so hard to be outsiders by
  choice: You cannot understand anyone else through yourself alone.  It
  is not my fault that you have to think in cult-like terms.  It is not
  my problem that you feel that I'm _enforcing_ anything.  (I just hate
  it when lunatics give me powers I don't want.)  It is not for me to
  ponder why you have reached the bizarre conclusion that there is a
  particular "definition of intelligence" at work.  Geez, dude, here I
  thought I was clear about my fight against _stupidity_, but one day
  you think it's _people_ I'm against, and the next it's _intelligence_
  that I'm f**king _enforcing_.  No wonder it's bizarre and cult-like to
  you!  You've turned into a raving lunatic with paranoid delusions!

  It must be really great to have such an easy escape from reality as
  you do, though.  I have to make do with a cat I deeply love who gets
  really sick and nearly dies were it not for exceptionally caring and
  competent veterinarians, to be taken out of _my_ daily routine and the
  dreary reality of two-month record rainfalls in Oslo and other random
  sadness like maybe Dumbya winning Florida, and that just sucks so hard.

  A fantasy world like yours with easy and ridiculously funny two-
  dimensional pop-up enemies who form bizarre and cult-like communities
  that you can be an outsider to is probably a lot easier than dealing
  with a real world with real people (and cats) and real causes behind
  real problems, such as your own inability to deal with what you see in
  preference to posting idiotic and condescending drivel about your own
  demented images of other people.

| As for me, like many, I don't have much time for Usenet.

  Yes, we have all noticed and I sympathize with your inability to post
  your _fantastic_ ridicule all day.  It could make literature, poetry,
  it could beat Xah Lee, if you worked all day at every snide remark
  instead of just a few hours.  Maybe you'd even fail to miss a target.

  Methinks you have lost it, Marcus.  You used to be able to post snide
  remarks with a sting.  This fantasy world cum nightmare cum enforced
  conformance to your prejudices betrays an outsider who is _really_ far
  out, beyond where the truth is.  I can't keep knocking your vileness
  and generally pathological negativity if you have really turned into a
  certified mental case, you know.  That would be mean.  Could you have
  somebody around you tell me you _aren't_ really just a raving lunatic
  with paranoid delusions about me and bizarre, cult-like communities
  you do not want to belong to?  (Not that people feel like _belonging_,
  either.  That would be much too _active_ a feeling.  All I want from
  people is a desire _not_ to be or remain outsiders, because people who
  are outsiders feel free to destroy that which they are outside.  They
  don't actually have to be "insiders" to remain moral and respect
  people and other people's time and property and such.  Outsider lunacy
  goes with insider lunacy, of course, so people who feel outside often
  have to invent groups of insiders, too.  It would all be much, much
  easier if people just dropped the feeling of "not belonging" and made
  a decision to respect other people as if there were a much greater
  community to which we _none_ were outsiders, like "humanity" or
  something soft and squishy like that, but we're humans, so we have to
  have small groups, some needing them smaller than others.)

  Or maybe you could just stop posting, not having that much time for
  Usenet and all, you know.  I'd be much relieved as it would be a sign
  of improved mental health on your part if you could find somebody else
  to prove that you're alive.  No more insane rants about bizarre cults,
  OK?  Keep it within reason, Marcus.  I don't want another Tom Breton
  with mythical Naggum Cliques and so strange ideas about optimization
  they need protection from the reality of his ways through kill-files.

  I'd prefer if you actually snapped out of whatever caused you to be
  such a disrespectful person to begin with, but that's just wishful
  thinking on my part, now, watching this last exchange of yours show
  that you really have not been talking about me at all this time, but
  some scary monster guy with powers to enforce scary definitions of
  intelligence.  Man, this is so sad.  Here I have actually been upset
  about your evil and never-ending snide remarks and your insidiously
  condescending attitude towards me, and it never was me you have been
  talking to, but some insane delusions completely devoid of reality.
  Get a grip, Marcus G. Daniels.  It's _mean_ to be insane and not tell
  people you work so hard to hurt as you have done.  Now, get lost.

#:Erik
From: Fernando Rodr�guez
On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:30:25 GMT, israel thomas <·······@optushome.com.au>
wrote:

>If this is the  Lisp community, I think that I'll stick to Smalltalk
>and Java.

	Wrong guess: you should forget erik, not Lisp.  Everybody else here is
normal, trust me.

	Don't worry, using lisp is safe and healthy and it  won't kill brain
cells or damage your social skills: erik's problems are caused by some deep
psychological or sexual frustrations, but totally unrelated to a lengthy
exposure to CL. ;-)

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//	frr at mindless dot com
From: David Bakhash
Fernando Rodr�guez <·······@must.die> writes:

> Don't worry, using lisp is safe and healthy and it won't kill brain
> cells or damage your social skills: erik's problems are caused by
> some deep psychological or sexual frustrations, but totally
> unrelated to a lengthy exposure to CL. ;-)

It's nice to know that we have a member of the community who is
trusted to define what normal is, and in addition to come up with
Freudian psychoanalyses of people in our newsgroup.  You must feel
proud to be such a genius, and a leader.

Sometimes it frustrates me that there are as many morons in
comp.lang.lisp as there are.  I'd have thought that the topic itself
would weed out morons.  But somehow it doesn't.  Or maybe it does, and
those who just feel cheated use this channel to vent their hostility.
I don't know.

I hate kill files, and don't use them, but after reading this post,
maybe they're not so bad after all.  It scares me that people who tout
themselves as normal are yet so deranged.

Sorry, Fernando.  I don't want you to be responsible for my post.
You're just the trigger, and a small part of the actual cause, which
is about a dozen of you guys, maybe more, who I wish never discovered
comp.lang.lisp.

If I had some kind of authority to prevent you from posting, I would
not use it.  But it would be an internal struggle for me, and it's sad
that people like you can even do that.

You to review some past posts, and see if you can justify your
statements, and maybe ask you to consider some introspection.  If not,
and if you have no life, this is not the place to invent one.

dave
From: Jochen Schmidt
israel thomas wrote:

> If this is the  Lisp community, I think that I'll stick to Smalltalk
> and Java.

Oh please stick to Smalltalk and Java - so another troll would vanish!

> ( defun (  Lisp ( Lots of Irritating Silly (Pompous ) Pricks) ) )

Have you often heard the term "simple-minded" in your environment?

jsc
From: Reini Urban
which lisp is the sample mod-lisp.lisp for, resp. tested on?

(require "comm"), mp:process-run-function ...

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html
From: Martin ``rydis'' Rydstr|m
RU> which lisp is the sample mod-lisp.lisp for, resp. tested on?

Earlier posts have mentioned Lispworks Common Lisp.

TTFN,

'mr

--
Martin Rydstr|m,  ·····@cd.chalmers.se ; rationalize till I'm blue in the face,
				       ; you cannot lose if you throw the race.
From: Pierre R. Mai
Reini Urban <······@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> writes:

> which lisp is the sample mod-lisp.lisp for, resp. tested on?
>
> (require "comm"), mp:process-run-function ...

Sounds like LispWorks...

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein
From: Marc Battyani
"Reini Urban" <······@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> wrote in message
······················@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at...
> which lisp is the sample mod-lisp.lisp for, resp. tested on?
>
> (require "comm"), mp:process-run-function ...

It's LispWorks (tested under FreeBSD / Linux and NT/W2K).
The site is run by LWL under FreeBSD.

As soon as somebody gives me equivalent code for other Lisps I will include
them. (this is a call for contribs...)

BTW In the table I've put a column "Lisp/OS" just before the file
column.that gives the Lisp / OS used/tested.

Marc
From: Marc Battyani
Subject: [announce] mod_lisp release 0.92
mod_lisp is an Apache module to write Lisp web sites/applications with
Apache.
It works under FreeBSD, Linux and Win32 (NT, W2K)

Release 0.92 handles POST methods correctly. The posted data is added to the
header alist.
File uploads also work.

www.fractalconcept.com/asp/mod_lisp1

Marc