From: SRS
Subject: What happend to lisp.org?
Arrggg... The www.lisp.org server seems to have dissapeared! My web
client tells me that a connection with the server could not be
established. Is the lisp.org (and alu.org) server temporarily down, or
has the site been moved?
(Flame on me if this is just a problem of my browser.)

-- SRS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Dr Nick Levine
Subject: Re: What happend to lisp.org?
Machine responds to ping, but is not (as far as I can tell) serving web
pages at this time. I am not aware of any intention to "move the site".

- n

From: R Matthew Emerson
Dr Nick Levine <········@anglia.ac.uk> writes:

> Machine responds to ping, but is not (as far as I can tell) serving web
> pages at this time. I am not aware of any intention to "move the site".

For some reason, the serving lisp locked up again.  I restarted it
in an interactive session to see if I can find out why it suddenly
started to misbehave.

-matt (ALU volunteer webmaster)

--
Matt Emerson <···@grc.nasa.gov>
More right rudder!
From: Steven
I just tried http://www.alu.org/ and it seems to be working fine.

Good luck on your browser configuration,
Steven

·················@nnrp1.deja.com...
From: Kent M Pitman

I agree. As does http://alu.org/

> "SRS" <·····@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> ·················@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > Arrggg... The www.lisp.org server seems to have dissapeared!

Maybe this is because you did http://lisp.org/ instead of
http://www.lisp.org/ ...?  Doing nslookup on lisp.org on my local
machine says it's got not registered address; only www.lisp.org does.
(Maybe some browsers auto-correct this; I've got that auto-URL-repair
stuff turned off in my browser, so I also get a site not found for
the short name.)

I personaly think it's nice when sites don't make you type the www,
and probably lisp.org should be one such, but there are administrative
traffic reasons why some sites make the separation, so you shouldn't
rely on them to do it without them having advertised it.

Maybe whoever maintains lisp.org will take this as an action item to
make lisp.org work, but in the meantime use the longer name.
From: Duane Rettig
SRS <·····@my-deja.com> writes:

> Arrggg... The www.lisp.org server seems to have dissapeared! My web
> client tells me that a connection with the server could not be
> established. Is the lisp.org (and alu.org) server temporarily down, or
> has the site been moved?
> (Flame on me if this is just a problem of my browser.)

No, it isn't; it happened to me as well.  However, it seems to have
been a transient problem; perhaps the server simply went down and
had to be restarted.

--
Duane Rettig          Franz Inc.            http://www.franz.com/ (www)
1995 University Ave Suite 275  Berkeley, CA 94704
From: R Matthew Emerson
Duane Rettig <·····@franz.com> writes:

> SRS <·····@my-deja.com> writes:
>
> > Arrggg... The www.lisp.org server seems to have dissapeared! My web
> > client tells me that a connection with the server could not be
> > established. Is the lisp.org (and alu.org) server temporarily down, or
> > has the site been moved?
> > (Flame on me if this is just a problem of my browser.)
>
> No, it isn't; it happened to me as well.  However, it seems to have
> been a transient problem; perhaps the server simply went down and
> had to be restarted.

The serving lisp got stuck; I couldn't even connect to the telnet
listener I had running inside the lisp to see what was happening.
I killed and restarted it a little while ago.

-matt (volunteer ALU/lisp.org webmaster)

--
Matt Emerson <···@grc.nasa.gov>
Stay on target. Stay on target!