From: Alex Guzman
Subject: Garnet use
I've been an on and off Garnet user for a couple of years. A couple of
months ago I decided to try Lispworks given the fact that its GUI runs
in both linux and NT. Lispworks seemed to be fine, however I found a
bit difficult to rewrite my garnet interface in LW given the fact it is not
as well documented as Garnet (at least is the impression I got)...

Is there anybody there still using Garnet?. If so, is there a clear
disadvantage  to stick to garnet rather than LW? or there is any other
GUI development package I can use for free?.

Thanks,

Alex Guzman

From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: Garnet use
"Alex Guzman" <····@guzman.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> I've been an on and off Garnet user for a couple of years. A couple
> of months ago I decided to try Lispworks given the fact that its GUI
> runs in both linux and NT. Lispworks seemed to be fine, however I
> found a bit difficult to rewrite my garnet interface in LW given the
> fact it is not as well documented as Garnet (at least is the
> impression I got)...

If what you're interested in is running Garnet on Win32, you kinda
loose.  The fact is that Garnet (as far as I know) uses CLX, which
expects that the computer you care to run the GUI on must be running
an X server.  Win32 computers don't do that normally.  But I use
Xwin32 from Starnet (http://www.starnet.com), and it does a really
superb job of running X on a windows box (works on both 98 and NT).

Of course, Franz's ACL on Win32 doesn't ship with the CLX stuff
(i.e. the :xlib package) because they don't expect that win32 people
care about X (that's kinda frustrating, of course, but oh well -- just
build it yourself on ACL under Windows).  LW on Windows also doesn't
come with CLX, but it's the same deal -- just build it for LispWorks.

I've only played with CLX on ACL and CLISP, and know that it works on
CMUCL.  I've never tried it on LW, but I'm almost positive that it
works.

Again, in the typical configuration where you're running both the
application and the GUI, you'll need to install an X server if you
plan for this to work under Win32.  This is to my best knowledge.

> Is there anybody there still using Garnet?. If so, is there a clear
> disadvantage to stick to garnet rather than LW? or there is any
> other GUI development package I can use for free?.

If you have LW, then you're probably referring to CAPI, right?  Well,
that works well, and it works on every system that LW works under, as
far as I know.  Downside is that it's not open-source, whereas Garnet
is.

Browsing http://www.lisp.org for GUI tools, you'll see CLOE and CLIO
or something like that.  Check it out.  I've never used them; I've
just used CLX directly, and have played with CAPI.  There's also CLIM,
which also might be what you were referring to.

dave
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:57:09 +0100, "Alex Guzman" <····@guzman.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

> Is there anybody there still using Garnet?. If so, is there a clear

Fred Gilham uses it for his work at SRI. See for example the paper (check
the screen shots):

  "SDTP - A Multilevel-Secure Distributed Transaction Processing System"
  Fred Gilham and David Shih (SRI International)
  [gilham | shih] AT sdl DOT sri DOT com
  Proceedings of the Lisp User Group Meeting '99
  October 1999
  http://www.sdl.sri.com/dsa/publis.html

Fred maintains an unofficial Garnet distribution in which he integrates all
the patches he gets:

  ftp://ftp.csl.sri.com/pub/users/gilham/garnet/

Paolo