From: Greg Morrisett
Subject: Reminder: ICFP programming contest (Sat)
A quick reminder that the ICFP Programming Contest starts
this Saturday at 5pm (US Eastern Standard Time).  For more
information, please see:

    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/icfp/

-Greg Morrisett

From: FM
Subject: Re: Reminder: ICFP programming contest (Sat)
Greg Morrisett <···@cs.cornell.edu> wrote:

>A quick reminder that the ICFP Programming Contest starts
>this Saturday at 5pm (US Eastern Standard Time).  For more
>information, please see:
>
>    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/icfp/

Dang, you guys managed to choose the single worst 3-day
span that was possible for my schedule.

Dan.
From: Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

In article <····················@hinman-bp-117.dartmouth.edu>,
FM <·····@dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>Greg Morrisett <···@cs.cornell.edu> wrote:

>>A quick reminder that the ICFP Programming Contest starts
>>this Saturday at 5pm (US Eastern Standard Time).  For more
>>information, please see:

>>    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/icfp/

>Dang, you guys managed to choose the single worst 3-day
>span that was possible for my schedule.

Me too.

Last year, I could only do the quick thing (one day), but that failed
because I had no compiler generating i386/Linux static binaries
(OpenBSD/i386 would have worked incl. static) and couldn't setup
one in the given time (not even the regular time).

This year, I'm away from in a few minutes till one week later.

Too bad... Especially after two years ago, my entry did perform
quite well even if I didn't spend too much time on it and it
wasn't *too* sophisticated.

Kind regards,

Hannah.
From: Greg Morrisett
The ICFP programming contest task has been posted.  You have
a little less than 72 hours to convince people that your programming
skills and favorite programming environment are the best in the
world :-)

For more info, see:  http://www.cs.cornell.edu/icfp/

-Greg Morrisett
From: Daniel de Rauglaudre
> For more info, see:  http://www.cs.cornell.edu/icfp/

Directory Listing Denied

This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

--
Daniel de RAUGLAUDRE
····················@inria.fr
From: Greg Morrisett
Yes, the Cornell web site for the contest (http://www.cs.cornell.edu/icfp)
has been flaky due to a bad switch.  It's been going up and down.  We've
got a psuedo mirror going at Bell Labs:

  http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/jhr/icfp

in case you can't get to the Cornell web site.

-Greg
From: Ketil Z Malde
"Greg Morrisett" <···@cs.cornell.edu> writes:

> The ICFP programming contest task has been posted.  You have
> a little less than 72 hours to convince people that your programming
> skills and favorite programming environment are the best in the
> world :-)

One question, though, why is there no longer a 'lightning' category?

-kzm
From: David Starner
On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 06:28:14 GMT, Ketil Z Malde <·····@ii.uib.no> wrote:
>"Greg Morrisett" <···@cs.cornell.edu> writes:
>
>> The ICFP programming contest task has been posted.  You have
>> a little less than 72 hours to convince people that your programming
>> skills and favorite programming environment are the best in the
>> world :-)
>
>One question, though, why is there no longer a 'lightning' category?

Probably because this year's project was too big for a decent 24 hour
implemention? (Just my guess...)

--
David Starner - ··········@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.net.dhis.org
From: Greg Morrisett
"Ketil Z Malde" <·····@ii.uib.no> wrote in message
··························@eris.bgo.nera.no...
> One question, though, why is there no longer a 'lightning' category?

No good reason.

-Greg
From: ······@my-deja.com
Subject: Lightning (was Reminder: ICFP programming contest (Sat))
In article <············@news01.cit.cornell.edu>,  "Greg Morrisett"
<···@cs.cornell.edu> wrote:> "Ketil Z Malde" <·····@ii.uib.no> wrote in
message> ··························@eris.bgo.nera.no...> > One question,
though, why is there no longer a 'lightning' category?>> No good reason.>>
-Greg>> I just downloaded ngws (.NET)
fromhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.asp?url=
/msdn-files/027/000/976/msdncompositedoc.xmlyou need W2K, IE 5.5,  and fast
connection (to get 86MB).lightning is so small, and .NET is sooo big -
interesting combinationAnes

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: ·······@my-deja.com
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  ······@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <············@news01.cit.cornell.edu>,  "Greg Morrisett"
> <···@cs.cornell.edu> wrote:> "Ketil Z Malde" <·····@ii.uib.no> wrote
in
> message> ··························@eris.bgo.nera.no...> > One
question,
> though, why is there no longer a 'lightning' category?>> No good
reason.>>
> -Greg>> I just downloaded ngws (.NET)
> fromhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?
URL=/code/sample.asp?url=
> /msdn-files/027/000/976/msdncompositedoc.xmlyou need W2K, IE 5.5,
and fast
> connection (to get 86MB).lightning is so small, and .NET is sooo big -
> interesting combinationAnes
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

When Ketil asked the question about a "Lightning" category he was
talking about the ICFP contest, not "Lightning Oberon".  I know it's
a little confusing since this thread is running in several different
newsgroups.  The Lightning ICFP category is (if I'm not mistaken)
finishing the contest in 24 hours instead of the normal time (96?).
Lightning Oberon (for those of you reading this from a newsgroup
other than comp.lang.oberon) is the new Oberon-derived language that
runs on the Microsoft .NET platform (which required Windows 2000).

So asadik, how do you like LO so far?  Have you tried mixing it
with C# or VB 7 yet?

--
Guns don't kill people...bullets do.

From: Ketil Z Malde
······@my-deja.com writes:

> In article <············@news01.cit.cornell.edu>,  "Greg Morrisett"
> <···@cs.cornell.edu> wrote:> "Ketil Z Malde" <·····@ii.uib.no> wrote in
> message> ··························@eris.bgo.nera.no...> > One question,
> though, why is there no longer a 'lightning' category?>> No good reason.>>
> -Greg>> I just downloaded ngws (.NET)
> fromhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.asp?url=
> /msdn-files/027/000/976/msdncompositedoc.xmlyou need W2K, IE 5.5,  and fast
> connection (to get 86MB).lightning is so small, and .NET is sooo big -
> interesting combinationAnes

Bless you  (and all over my computer screen, too)!

-kzm
From: Julian Assange
"Greg Morrisett" <···@cs.cornell.edu> writes:

> "Ketil Z Malde" <·····@ii.uib.no> wrote in message
> ··························@eris.bgo.nera.no...
> > One question, though, why is there no longer a 'lightning' category?
>
> No good reason.
>
> -Greg

This quite annoyed me. I wasn't willing to spent 3 days on this, but
was quite willing to spend <24 hours. I'm sure a number of other
hackers felt the same way.  Are you sure this just wasn't an attep to
keep Lennart down :)?

Cheers,
Julian.
From: Greg Morrisett
"Julian Assange" <············@iq.org> wrote in message
> This quite annoyed me. I wasn't willing to spent 3 days on this, but
> was quite willing to spend <24 hours. I'm sure a number of other
> hackers felt the same way.  Are you sure this just wasn't an attep to
> keep Lennart down :)?

Well, there's nothing saying you *had* to spend 3 days :-)

Seriously, we'll keep it in mind for next year.  And keeping Lennart
down is impossible.

-Greg