From: David J. Cooper
Subject: Flavor Redefinition Warning Suppression?
Hello,

 Does anyone know how to suppress completely the following types of
warnings (in Allegro CL):

; While compiling (:TOP-LEVEL-FORM "cda839f5a.cl" 229) in /tmp/cda839f5a.cl:
Warning: Flavor ASSEMBLY-S-1 or one of its components has been redefined
         incompatibly. Previously-created instances will not see the new
         definition.

; While compiling (:TOP-LEVEL-FORM "cda839f54.cl" 229) in /tmp/cda839f54.cl:
Warning: During reDEFFLAVOR of flavor ASSEMBLY-S-1 some previously-known
         instance variables have disappeared from it or its component
         flavors.  Any previously-compiled methods which reference these
         variables may fail. The instance variables are:
         IDL-IVAR::RAD, IDL-IVAR::AVAILABLE-CONFIGURATIONS.
Undefining the Method (:METHOD ASSEMBLY-S-1 :AVAILABLE-CONFIGURATIONS)
Undefining the Method (:METHOD ASSEMBLY-S-1 :RAD)

I seem to have found

   FLA::REDEF-WARNING

which looks like an (unsupported) way to specify the actual warning
string, but what I need to do is completely stop the warning from
showing up at all.

Thanks,

 -dave

--
David J. Cooper Jr, Chief Engineer	Genworks International
·······@genworks.com			5777 West Maple, Suite 130

From: Steven M. Haflich
Subject: Re: Flavor Redefinition Warning Suppression?
"David J. Cooper" wrote:

> I seem to have found
>
>    FLA::REDEF-WARNING
>
> which looks like an (unsupported) way to specify the actual warning
> string, but what I need to do is completely stop the warning from
> showing up at all.

FLA::REDEF-WARNING is only a variable holding the format-control
string for the warning which is used in a couple places.  This code
was written in days of much smaller machines, and before CL constant
coalescing was spelled out.  I know because I wrote this code in the
1980's and it hasn't changed much since then.

It is easy to muffle warnings and the ANS shows how on the dictionary
page for MUFFLE-WARNING.  The problem is that the Flavors system is
signalling only an unspecific SIMPLE-WARNING condition.  So a
promiscuous warning suppression wrapped around the code would muffle
not only this warning but all others.  It would be more useful if
there were a specialized FLAVOR-REDEFINITION warning class, but
unfortunately, this code was also written years before the condition
system was adopted into CL.

You could ask Franz to specialize this warning class for you, which
would be technical simple but which might take more time than you
want to wait.  As a practical alternative, you could wrap warning
suppression around the places that might signal this warning, and
if necessary, peek inside the SIMPLE-CONDITION-FORMAT-CONTROL of
any SIMPLE-WARNING you catch to see if you really want to
suppress it.  This is a kludge, of course, but it works in practice.

Remember that the ACL condition string wraps some pretty-printer
control around format-control strings, so your handler test
wants to take this into consideration.

[1c] <45> (describe *)
#<SIMPLE-WARNING @ #x3041e192> is an instance of #<STANDARD-CLASS SIMPLE-WARNING>:
 The following slots have :INSTANCE allocation:
  FORMAT-CONTROL     ···@<Flavor ~s or one of its components has been redefined incompatibly.  ~
  Previously-created instances will not see the new ·············@>"
  FORMAT-ARGUMENTS   (FOO)
  PLIST              NIL
From: Coby Beck
David J. Cooper <·······@genworks.com> wrote in message
····················@lang.genworks.com...

| Hello,
|
|  Does anyone know how to suppress completely the following types of
| warnings (in Allegro CL):

| ; While compiling (:TOP-LEVEL-FORM "cda839f5a.cl" 229) in /tmp/cda839f5a.cl:
| Warning: Flavor ASSEMBLY-S-1 or one of its components has been redefined
|          incompatibly. Previously-created instances will not see the new
|          definition.

check excl::*redefinition-warnings*

Setting it to nil will stop ALL redefinition warnings

Coby