From: Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll
Subject: ECLS 0.0e (runs on FreeBSD >= 4.0)
Hi,

I have finished the port of ECLS to my copy of FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE. These
are the main new features of this new release.

     * Supported platforms amount to two: Debian Linux >= 2.1 and FreeBSD
       >= 4.0 with ELF.
     * Formerly optional ANSI features are now compulsory: this includes
       LOOP, DEFPACKAGE, DECLAIM, the EVAL-WHEN keywords (:EXECUTE,
       :LOAD-TOPLEVEL and :COMPILE-TOPLEVEL), the standard package names
       (COMMON-LISP, CL, CL-USER, etc).
     * The set of headers has been simplified, removing the redundant
       ecl.h. Now there is a main ecl.h for ECLS development and a
       ecl-cmp.h for lisp compiled code. All headers are properly copied
       during installation process.
     * Attardi's defsystem has been empowered with options to build static
       libraries and a new (yet undocumented) function has been designed
       #'compiler::build-ecl to build customized executables. See
       compile_rest.lsp in the build directory to learn how to use it.
     * Fixed some errors which include: #'shadow not shadowing interned
       symbols, #'functionp returning 't on symbols, missing optional
       argument for #'last, pathnames written as addresses when
       *print-escape* is nil, and a few bugs in the type system.
     * Executables are stripped prior to installation. This saves a few
       megabytes.

You can get a current copy of the sources at
        http://www.arrakis.es/~worm/ecls.tgz

Since the tests are distributed under the GPL and ECLS is under LGPL,
it could be confusing to merge both packages. Thus I have placed them
on a separate tar file which can be unpacked right on top of the other
one
	http://www.arrakis.es/~worm/ecls-tests.tgz

The home page is
	http://www.arrakis.es/~worm/ecls.html

As a side note: It still does work 100% with the SERIES package. Specially
there seem to be problems when optimizations are turned off in the SERIES
code generator.

Best regards

	Juanjo

--
Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll	www: http://www.arrakis.es/~worm
Dpto. de Matematicas	job: ········@ind-cr.uclm.es
From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: ECLS 0.0e (runs on FreeBSD >= 4.0)
Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <········@ind-cr.uclm.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have finished the port of ECLS to my copy of FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE. These
> are the main new features of this new release.
>
>      * Supported platforms amount to two: Debian Linux >= 2.1 and FreeBSD
>        >= 4.0 with ELF.
>      * Formerly optional ANSI features are now compulsory: this includes
>        LOOP, DEFPACKAGE, DECLAIM, the EVAL-WHEN keywords (:EXECUTE,
>        :LOAD-TOPLEVEL and :COMPILE-TOPLEVEL), the standard package names
>        (COMMON-LISP, CL, CL-USER, etc).

I applaude you for this.  The first KCL derivative to make such bold move!

Cheers

--
NYU Bioinformatics Group			 tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488