From: ··········@my-deja.com
Subject: read a input without brackets
Hello - i have a single problem:

I have written my one vocabulary trainer -
if i get a imput from the user i use the READ Function
for a single word - it ok - but for a sentence the user
must set brackets at the beginning and the end.
for example: "it is raining"

I want the user do not have to set the brackets !
How can i do that ?

this is my program now:
(setq input_string (string-downcase (string (read))))
         (cond ((string= input_string  (car list ).........

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: read a input without brackets
··········@my-deja.com writes:

> Hello - i have a single problem:
>
> I have written my one vocabulary trainer -
> if i get a imput from the user i use the READ Function
> for a single word - it ok - but for a sentence the user
> must set brackets at the beginning and the end.
> for example: "it is raining"
>
> I want the user do not have to set the brackets !
> How can i do that ?

Not quite sure I understand what you want, exactly, but the
#'read-line function is probably good for letting the user enter in
some text.

··········@my-deja.com writes:

> this is my program now:
> (setq input_string (string-downcase (string (read))))
>          (cond ((string= input_string  (car list ).........

in Lisp languages, using a hyphen over an underscore as the delimiter
in symbols is preferred.  So what you'd have would look more like:

(let ((input-string (nstring-downcase (read-line))))
  (...))

dave