From: ········@ind-cr.uclm.es
Subject: ECLS v0.0d
[Please excuse me for using Deja. Our local newsfeed does not allow
posting]

Hi,

this message announces the availability of ECLS version 0.0d. The main
difference of this release with respect to previous ones is that ECLS
now does not dump itself from memory to executable file. This feature,
which I must admit is desirable, became a pain on the neck with new
releases of Linux and of GLIBC, and has been the biggest portability
problem for weeks.

Now ECLS builds libraries of object files up from Common Lisp files, and
this libraries are later on linked against the core of the interpreter.
In a near future I want to add support for user-made libraries and ECLS
customization, so that programmers may release binary only executable
programs. Furthermore, the new architecture should make it easy to move
from statically linked libraries to dynamically linked ones.

ECLS v0.0d can be found at

	http://est202.sub37.uclm.es/jjgarcia/ecls.tgz

Its home page is

	http://est202.sub37.uclm.es/jjgarcia/ecls.html

--
Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll
Dpto. de Matematicas	job: ········@ind-cr.uclm.es

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
Subject: Re: ECLS v0.0d
········@ind-cr.uclm.es wrote:

> [Please excuse me for using Deja. Our local newsfeed does not allow
> posting]

news.teleline.es allows posting and it carries 7K messages (goes back to
February)

Can ECLS compile SERIES now?

Regards,

--
Fernando D. Mato Mira			   Phone    : +41 (78) 778 FDMM
 				           E-mail   : matomira AT acm DOT org
From: ········@ind-cr.uclm.es
In article <·················@iname.com>,
  "Fernando D. Mato Mira" <········@iname.com> wrote:
> news.teleline.es allows posting and it carries 7K messages

I haven't managed to use any other news feed other than the
local one. Indeed I pay for an ISP, but I can only use those
services when connected by phone and I do not have a phone
around.

> Can ECLS compile SERIES now?

No, not yet I think. It has taken me too much time to figure
out what happened with latest linuxes and solve it. Hopefully
now that ECL finally works on my own computer I will be able
to address more lispy issues.

Regards

	Juanjo

---
Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll	www: http://www.arrakis.es/~worm

From: Tunc Simsek
Could you give an example of the "embeddedness" of ECLS.
I installed it and it looks like any other lisp except
that it can load *.o files.

Also,

1. how does the compiler know the name of Lisp functions?
	The emmitted *.c files don't contain this information.
2. Would it be possible to compile PCL with ECLS?

Thanks,
Tunc

From: ········@ind-cr.uclm.es
Tunc Simsek <······@robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu> writes:
> Could you give an example of the "embeddedness" of ECLS.
> I installed it and it looks like any other lisp except
> that it can load *.o files.

The theory is that ECL and ECL-S could be built as libraries to be
embedded in a C/C++ program. The practice is that currently the
code is not in a good shape for this:
* There is a main() in the library which jumps to a _lisp_
  toplevel.
* The programmer interface is quite complex and not uniform.
* There is no clue for users abot which ECL headers and libraries
  should be installed.

Hopefully things are changing and soon ECLS will do what it stands
for. In the meantime, ECL or GCL experienced hackers can easily
customize ECLS to link it with their own programs.

Another alternative is to write code which calls your C functions
from within Common-Lisp: ECL has a FFI which resembles that of
GCL.

> 1. how does the compiler know the name of Lisp functions?
> 	The emmitted *.c files don't contain this information.

Yes it does. The compiler emits three types of files
	*.h with some compile-time constants (integers)
	*.data with compile-time lisp constants in text mode
        *.c with the functions plus a initialization code

The *.data is compiled as a long C string which contains all the
information about symbols, lisp constants, etc. This data gets into
the object file, of course. At load time the initialization code
passes this string back to the interpreter with the addresses of the
lisp functions (see MF0 calls and the like in init_*() functions).

> 2. Would it be possible to compile PCL with ECLS?

ECLS comes with a customized version of PCL which is suited for
ECLS' internal representation of objects. In short: ECLS already
has CLOS. Nevertheless the implementation may be not 100%
compliant -- I am not enough of a MOP hacker to know about this.

Best regards

        Juanjo