From: Link Davis
Subject: Education/Reading
What is the average education/reading of members in this group?

From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: Education/Reading
* Link Davis <·········@mindspring.com>
| What is the average education/reading of members in this group?

  What is a member of this group?

#:Erik
--
  If this is not what you expected, please alter your expectations.
From: Link Davis
Erik Naggum wrote:

> * Link Davis <·········@mindspring.com>
> | What is the average education/reading of members in this group?
>
>   What is a member of this group?

Good question.  I suppose that just because someone subscribes to
this newsgroup they might not call themselves "members" of it.

Anyway, here's an example reply for myself.

Algebra/Trig/Calculus 1
Maximizing AutoLISP
Knuth, Vol 1
Visual Basic Black Book
Some superficial C++, a long time ago
Nominal Pascal and Delphi, also a while back
More recently, the Visual Lisp PDF and on-line help
The Next World War (by James Adams)
The Code Book (history of cryptography)
ANSI Common Lisp (by Paul Graham)
Art of the Meta-Obect Protocol
This newsgroup

95% of my programming career has been as a detailer.
I wrote AutoLISP programs in order to get drawings onto
the shop floor, fabricated, and erected.  Those programs
were short-term solutions that got the job done.  But I
realized I needed a long-term solution, something that
was object-oriented and able to evolve... hopefully in a
language similar to what I was used to...  Hence CLOS.

Visual Lisp is extremely powerful.  I started out with the
original "Vital Lisp" by Basis Software.  Autodesk acquired
the Lisp - to - Object-ARX "compiler".  And that is my primary
home...  Until, perhaps, I am a proficient CLOS programmer.

From: thi
leaves of trees
comp.lang.lisp

thi
From: Christopher Browne
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Erik Naggum would say:
>* Link Davis <·········@mindspring.com>
>| What is the average education/reading of members in this group?
>
>  What is a member of this group?

I expect that members of this group are finite, but not Abelian...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@" "acm.org")
<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
From: Thomas M. Sommers
Christopher Browne wrote:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Erik Naggum would say:
> >* Link Davis <·········@mindspring.com>
> >| What is the average education/reading of members in this group?
> >
> >  What is a member of this group?
>
> I expect that members of this group are finite, but not Abelian...

Then how do they get to work every day?
From: Christopher Browne
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Thomas M. Sommers would say:
>Christopher Browne wrote:
>>
>> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Erik Naggum would say:
>> >* Link Davis <·········@mindspring.com>
>> >
>> >  What is a member of this group?
>>
>> I expect that members of this group are finite, but not Abelian...
>
>Then how do they get to work every day?

Ah.  That probably means that the group is limited to one, so that all
you have is
  (car group)
and no
  (cdr group).

They get to work by (car group), of course.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@" "acm.org")
<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
Rules of the Evil Overlord #175. "I will have my fortress exorcized
regularly. Although ghosts in the dungeon provide an appropriate
atmosphere, they tend to provide valuable information once placated."
<http://www.eviloverlord.com/>
From: Rob Warnock
Christopher Browne <········@hex.net> wrote:
+---------------
| Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Erik Naggum would say:
| >* Link Davis <·········@mindspring.com>
| >| What is the average education/reading of members in this group?
| >
| >  What is a member of this group?
|
| I expect that members of this group are finite, but not Abelian...
+---------------

What *I* want to know:  Is group membership a fuzzy set?

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, 41L-955		····@sgi.com
Applied Networking		http://reality.sgi.com/rpw3/
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		Phone: 650-933-1673
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy.		PP-ASEL-IA
Mountain View, CA  94043
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
Christopher Browne wrote:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Erik Naggum would say:
> >* Link Davis <·········@mindspring.com>
> >| What is the average education/reading of members in this group?
> >
> >  What is a member of this group?
>
> I expect that members of this group are finite, but not Abelian...

I dunno..

http://java.stanford.edu/concur/examples/html-lib/abstract-algebra/ABELIAN-GROUP.html

;)

--
Fernando D. Mato Mira			   Phone    : +41 (78) 778 FDMM
 				           E-mail   : matomira AT acm DOT org
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
Link Davis wrote:

> What is the average education/reading of members in this group?

Q1/2000 Setting up SERIES site - "Polls for _this_?? Come on.."
Last week: "Hm.. It would be cool to have a poll about <some stuff> on
cons.org.."

*CLICK*!!

Why not just use some (maybe empty) SourceForge project for this?

Poll admin volunteers?