From: ······@bridgetrix.com
Subject: Storing Object
How do you store an object to a file without printing it?  I created a
tree using DEFSTRUCT and tried compiling a file with

(setq tree '#.tree)  in it, under MCL 4.0.  The compiler gave an error message:

       Error: No applicable method for args:

             (print-out of tree)

to #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION MAKE-LOAD-FORM #x14D129E>
> While executing: #<CCL::STANDARD-KERNEL-METHOD NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD (T)>

      I can simply print the tree to a file, but that's space-intensive.
Are there alternatives?

       Neil

Neil Cohen
Bridge Trix
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Storing Object
In article <·······················@max2-69.ip.realtime.net>,
 <······@bridgetrix.com> wrote:
>How do you store an object to a file without printing it?

You have to define a method for the MAKE-LOAD-FORM generic function, so
that the compiler knows how to create an equivalent object when loading the
file.  Look up that function in CLTL2 or CLHS.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA