From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: `Back to the Future: Is Worse (Still) Better?' (OOPSLA 2000 panel with Gabriel)
While browsing the OOPSLA 2000 (Oct 15-19 2000, Minneapolis, Minnesota -
USA - http://oopsla.acm.org/) advance program I received in the mail, my
attention was caught by the following session A panel on Oct 19 2000:

``"Back to the Future: Is Worse (Still) Better?" - Functional programming,
AI, patterns, OO, structured programming - they were promising, and yet
they seem to have failed to deliver. Did we lose interest too soon? Is the
best too good for our industry? Is there "a" best for our industry or is
our endless search for the silver bullet driving us? Do we want the "best"
to (again) be a popular goal? How? Pioneers, practitioners, and teachers in
our industry confronted with the past, confront us with the future -
moderator: Martine Devos; panelists: James Coplien, Theo D'Hondt, Jutta
Eckstein, Brian Foote, Richard Gabriel, Kevlin Henney, Alan O'Callaghan.''

It looks very interesting. The OOPSLA proceedings at times include short
summaries of panels, but not always. Does anybody plan to attend the event?
If so, it would be really great if he/she could later tell us something
about the panel.

Paolo