From: David Allen
Subject: (documentation 'some-function 'function)
Why is it that this function exists, but practically none of the
builtin functions have anything registered with it?

I can do:

(defun identity (&rest foo)
   "This is a pretty useless function"
   foo)

and then

(documentation 'identity 'function) =>
"This is a pretty useless function"

But using documentation yields nothing for
all the builtin functions.  What other online help
facilities are there available other than
documentation?

TIA
--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/

From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: (documentation 'some-function 'function)
* "David Allen" <········@titan.vcu.edu>
| Why is it that this function exists, but practically none of the
| builtin functions have anything registered with it?

  probably because there are better ways to find better documentation
  for the language.

#:Erik
From: Barry Margolin
In article <············@bob.news.rcn.net>,
David Allen <········@titan.vcu.edu> wrote:
>Why is it that this function exists, but practically none of the
>builtin functions have anything registered with it?

Because most vendors haven't bothered.  CLTL and the vendors' written
documentation usually provide much better information than can be crammed
into a little documentation string.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA
From: Rainer Joswig
<········@titan.vcu.edu> wrote:

> Why is it that this function exists, but practically none of the
> builtin functions have anything registered with it?

We can't guess what Lisp implementation you are using...

Anyway, Macintosh Common Lisp for example gives:

? (documentation 'documentation 'function)
"returns the documentation string of doc-type for symbol. Documentation
strings may be specified when functions, variables, macros, etc. are
defined. The documentation strings are only retained if
*save-doc-strings* is true when the definition occurs. doc-type may be
function, variable, structure, type, or setf."

> But using documentation yields nothing for
> all the builtin functions.  What other online help
> facilities are there available other than
> documentation?

Various environments can access CLtL2 or the ANSI CL HyperSpec.

Rainer Joswig
From: Tim Bradshaw
* David Allen wrote:

> But using documentation yields nothing for
> all the builtin functions.  What other online help
> facilities are there available other than
> documentation?

One of the several hyperspec interfaces is generally a much better way
of doing this.  I use Erik Naggum's but there are others.  You
probably need emacs for these.

--tim
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 02 May 2000 14:21:44 +0100, Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com> wrote:

> One of the several hyperspec interfaces is generally a much better way
> of doing this.  I use Erik Naggum's but there are others.  You
> probably need emacs for these.

ILISP http://ilisp.cons.org/ (CVS tree at http://ilisp.sourceforge.net/)
ships with 3 HyperSpec interfaces by Daniel Barlow, Stephen Carney and Erik
Naggum.

Paolo