From: Joseph Dale
Subject: Book advice?
I just picked up a book for 50 cents called "Artificial Intelligence
Programming", by Charniak, Riesbeck, and McDermott. It's the first
edition, published in 1980, and it uses a dialect of Lisp called
UCI-LISP which, with the amount of experience I have, looks a little
strange.

Can anyone comment about this book? Have you read it? Is it any good? Is
it worth reading, or will it warp my brain with obsolete idioms? Is
UCI-LISP that different from Common Lisp, or can it easily be mapped?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

From: see.signature
Subject: Re: Book advice?
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 02:11:48 GMT, Joseph Dale
<·····@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

Hi Joe,

I can recommend the second edition, written using common lisp.  That
editions is really nice in showing some ai programming techniques.

Marc

>I just picked up a book for 50 cents called "Artificial Intelligence
>Programming", by Charniak, Riesbeck, and McDermott. It's the first
>edition, published in 1980, and it uses a dialect of Lisp called
>UCI-LISP which, with the amount of experience I have, looks a little
>strange.
>
>Can anyone comment about this book? Have you read it? Is it any good? Is
>it worth reading, or will it warp my brain with obsolete idioms? Is
>UCI-LISP that different from Common Lisp, or can it easily be mapped?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Joe

email: marc dot hoffmann at users dot whh dot wau dot nl
From: Donald Fisk
Joseph Dale wrote:

> I just picked up a book for 50 cents called "Artificial Intelligence
> Programming", by Charniak, Riesbeck, and McDermott. It's the first
> edition, published in 1980, and it uses a dialect of Lisp called
> UCI-LISP which, with the amount of experience I have, looks a little
> strange.
>
> Can anyone comment about this book? Have you read it? Is it any good? Is
> it worth reading, or will it warp my brain with obsolete idioms? Is
> UCI-LISP that different from Common Lisp, or can it easily be mapped?

Excellent, though by now rather dated, introduction to AI programming,
superseded by the even better Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence
Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp by Peter Norvig.

The first half of the book concentrates on making UCI-Lisp more
expressive.   UCI-Lisp lacks a lot of the features we take for granted
in Common Lisp -- structures, setf, loop, backquote -- but CR&M
explain how to implement versions of them.   They also explains how to
implement just-in-time macros (needed for performance reasons if
your lisp doesn't have a compiler) that replace their calls by their
macroexpansions the first time they are executed.

The second half of the book mostly covers AI programming -- frames,
ATNs, Scheme implementation, non-monotonic logic and story
generation.

> Joe

Le Hibou (ma propre opinion)

--
"part of any serious QA is removing perl code the same
way you go over a dilapidated building you inherit to