From: Ziad Ganim
Subject: Read from telnet
Is there anyway I can set LISP as sort of a telnet intermediary, as in
it takes the output from telnet as its input and sends the program
output to the telnet connection? If someone's heard of a use like this,
any references appreciated. Thanks

From: Paul Wallich
Subject: Re: Read from telnet
In article <·················@uclink4.berkeley.edu>, Ziad Ganim
<·····@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>Is there anyway I can set LISP as sort of a telnet intermediary, as in
>it takes the output from telnet as its input and sends the program
>output to the telnet connection? If someone's heard of a use like this,
>any references appreciated. Thanks

It sounds like what you want is one of two things:
1) to allow people to telnet to a lisp application running on your
   machine.
2) to create a lisp program that telnets to another machine and
   does things there.

If either of those is the case, you don't actually use telnet the program,
you just open a connection on the appropriate port and either listen or
talk. The TCP-fiddling will depend on the OS/platform/lisp you're using,
but it should be pretty straightforward. (You need a stream that does
the TCP stuff, and then you read to or write from that stream.) My only
experience with this is in MCL, where it took a completely incompetent
rank amateur (me) about an hour to set up a program that read and wrote
a telnet connection.

paul
From: Will Fitzgerald
Yes, it's relatively easy to do, if your Lisp has a TCP/IP library (and most
do).

From: Per Bothner
Ziad Ganim <·····@uclink4.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Is there anyway I can set LISP as sort of a telnet intermediary, as in
> it takes the output from telnet as its input and sends the program
> output to the telnet connection? If someone's heard of a use like this,
> any references appreciated. Thanks

Kawa (http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/) can be run as a telnet server:

    kawa --server PORTNUM
        Start a server listening from connections on the specified
        PORTNUM.  Each connection using the Telnet protocol causes a
        new read-eval-print-loop to started.  This option allows you
        to connect using any Telnet client program to a remote "Kawa
        server".

(Kawa is an implementation is Scheme, which is in the Lisp family,
but not Common Lisp, so I don't know if you'd consider it "Lisp".)
--
	--Per Bothner
···@bothner.com   http://www.bothner.com/~per/