From: Tunc Simsek
Subject: [matlisp] Matlisp 1.0a released
Regards,

I am proud to announce the first official release of Matlisp -- version
1.0a.
This is an alpha release.

Here is an excerpt from the Matlisp homepage:

-------------------
What is MatLisp?

MatLisp is a set of CLOS classes for handling matrices.  The classes
allow a simple
and consistent interface to matrix operations.  Matlisp is powered by
the well-known
and well-tested linear algebra packages BLAS and LAPACK.  This provides
the Matlisp
user an immediate interface to a set of specialized and well documented
linear
algebra routines such as  +, -, *, /, eigenvalue, SVD and Cholesky
decompositions
and the list continues ...

Why MatLisp?

While MatLisp essentially supplies a wrapper around the BLAS and LAPACK
routines, it
is more than that.  You have at your disposable the complete Lisp
language and
CLOS.  This allows you to write clean, object-oriented code that can
utilize the
LAPACK matrix routines.  Thus, you can think about your problem in the
natural way
instead of trying to force-fit your problem in matrices, like some other
packages do.
--------------------

Matlisp is hosted by sourceforge.net.  The homepage is located at:

	http://matlisp.sourceforge.net

Matlisp is currently being used in the Lambda-Shift project which is
also due
for its first official release.

Matlisp was originally developed by Raymond Toy and Tunc Simsek and
hopes to add
interested developers to this list.

Enjoy,
Tunc

From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: [matlisp] WOW!
hi,

I am seriously amazed at this.  I wish it were around when I was writing up
my master's.  I re-wrote all the matrix stuff myself in CL, and just kept
adding to it.  It was a royal pain, and was never nearly as fast as Matlab,
which I believe uses LAPACK and friends.  I would have loved for this to
have existed, but it's still great to know. One thing, though.  I'd be happy
to help in porting this to LispWorks, and possibly ACL.  I'd just like to
know what's involved.  If it's just a matter of writing a hundred or so
foreign function calls, and then the rest is just straight ANSI CL, then
it's surely worthwhile.

dave

······················@robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu...

From: Tunc Simsek
Great, I'm happy that you'd like to work on this.  I will contact you.

Tunc