From: Tunc Simsek
Subject: [defsystem] new version
I believe that defsystem had a license change.  Does anyone know where
can we get
the newest version with the new license (Marco??)

thanks,
Tunc

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: [defsystem] new version
Tunc Simsek <······@robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I believe that defsystem had a license change.  Does anyone know where
> can we get
> the newest version with the new license (Marco??)

Yes. The license is now DFSG.  The MK:DEFSYSTEM is in the CLOCC at
sourceforge.  However, you need to use CVS to download it.  I will
turn around and make a sourceforge file module sooner or later.

Anyway, the CVS module name is 'defsystem-3.x'.  So you can do a

 cvs -d <yourname>@cvs.clocc.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/clocc co defsystem-3.x

To get the beast.

Cheers

http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it/~marcoxa
From: Marco Antoniotti
Since we are at it, let me make a plug for two other little pieces of
software which I find kind of useful (I wrote them :) ) which you can
find in the CLOCC.

The first one is called CL.ENVIRONMENT and the second
CL.EXT.CONFIGURATION.  The first one provides a "normalized"
enviroment query beyond LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-VERSION, SOFTWARE-TYPE and
friends.  It "objectifies" these piece of information (in the spirit
of one of the examples in Sonia Keene's CLOS book) and it is portable
across implementations (reasonably tested in CMUCL, CLisp, ACL and
LW).  It sort of enforces a way to write code broken up into several
files, you may like it or not.  It is up to you.  Alas, I also believe
it is incomplete.  You are most welcome to help.

The second piece of software is more controversial.  Maybe I worked
too long with non CL systems under UNIX, but I kind of like the
separation between 'configure' and 'make'.  Hence I decided to write a
little (again, *still incomplete*) utility that'd help a CL developer
to set up a "configuration" for a given application in a single and
well behaved file/form.  A typical form would looks like the following

(use-package "CL.EXT.CONFIGURATION")

(defconfiguration "MYGUI" ()
  (:library-location "/users/marcoxa/lang/cl/mygui/"
		     :os-type :unix)
  (:library-location "d:\\marcoxa\\lang\\cl\\mygui\\"
		     :os-type :windows)
  ;; (:source-location)
  (:logical-pathname-host "MYGUI")
  (:required-package "cl.ext.properties")
  (:required-system "zut" :system-type :pcl)
  (:required-module zot)
  (:required-module gnao
		    :pathnames-components ("gnao:f1" "gnao:f2" "gnao:d;f3"))

  (:special-translations
   :host "elura"
   ("*.*.*" "/software/elura/se/le/cust/chi/" :os-type :unix))

  (:special-translations
   ("impl-dependent;cmucl-motif;*.*.*"
    "impl-dependent/cmucl-motif/*.*.*"
    :prefix "/user/marcoxa/lang/cl/mygui/special-stuff/"
    :prefix-configuration-key :cmucl-motif-location
    :os-type :unix)

   ("utilities;*.*.*"
    "utilities/*.*.*"
    :prefix :library-location)

  (:finally (configure-format *standard-output*
			      "done configuring mygui.")))

The form will define the proper logical pathname translations in an as
implementation independent possible way. Or better, the form has all
the inforrmation to set up different translations on different hosts.
The main objective being the removal of several messy

 #+(and some-os some-cl)
 (setf (logical-pathname-translations "ZZZ") ....)

interspersed in various setup files. You get the idea...

Of course you may argue that this is an overkill and that maybe all of
this should go in MK:DEFSYSTEM.  I decided against this.  See the
(:required-system "zut" :system-type :pcl) clause for one such reason.

BTW.  Of course CL.EXT.CONFIGURATION depends on CL.ENVIRONMENT.

Hope it helps.  (Constructive and destructive) comments appreciated.

From: Tunc Simsek
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

[snip]

> The second piece of software is more controversial.  Maybe I worked
> too long with non CL systems under UNIX, but I kind of like the
> separation between 'configure' and 'make'.  Hence I decided to write a
> little (again, *still incomplete*) utility that'd help a CL developer
> to set up a "configuration" for a given application in a single and
> well behaved file/form.  A typical form would looks like the following

I feel that lisp needs a configuration utility, but I don't see how
this example relates to a configuration.  The term configuration
suggests a retrieval of machine parameters (e.g. I require a c compiler,
a fortran compiler etc ... and configure does this for me).
I don't understand what defconfiguration does.

> (use-package "CL.EXT.CONFIGURATION")
>
> (defconfiguration "MYGUI" ()
>   (:library-location "/users/marcoxa/lang/cl/mygui/"
>                      :os-type :unix)
>   (:library-location "d:\\marcoxa\\lang\\cl\\mygui\\"
>                      :os-type :windows)
>   ;; (:source-location)
>   (:logical-pathname-host "MYGUI")
>   (:required-package "cl.ext.properties")
>   (:required-system "zut" :system-type :pcl)
>   (:required-module zot)
>   (:required-module gnao
>                     :pathnames-components ("gnao:f1" "gnao:f2" "gnao:d;f3"))
>
>   (:special-translations
>    :host "elura"
>    ("*.*.*" "/software/elura/se/le/cust/chi/" :os-type :unix))
>

>   (:special-translations
>    ("impl-dependent;cmucl-motif;*.*.*"
>     "impl-dependent/cmucl-motif/*.*.*"
>     :prefix "/user/marcoxa/lang/cl/mygui/special-stuff/"
>     :prefix-configuration-key :cmucl-motif-location
>     :os-type :unix)
>
>    ("utilities;*.*.*"
>     "utilities/*.*.*"
>     :prefix :library-location)
>
>   (:finally (configure-format *standard-output*
>                               "done configuring mygui.")))
>
> The form will define the proper logical pathname translations in an as
> implementation independent possible way. Or better, the form has all
> the inforrmation to set up different translations on different hosts.
> The main objective being the removal of several messy

I have a form named deflogicalpathname that does this.  I find it
useful.
You put this form in a directory, say (deflogicalpathname foo "foo")
and once the loads the file in which this thing is said it appends "foo"
to the real directory where the file exists and also defines some more
useful translations for its subdirectories.

>  #+(and some-os some-cl)
>  (setf (logical-pathname-translations "ZZZ") ....)
>
> interspersed in various setup files. You get the idea...

not really.  This looks like a nice way of collecting information under
one form but what does it do (other than pathname translations)?

Regards,
Tunc
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 14 Apr 2000 10:52:18 +0200, Marco Antoniotti <·······@parades.rm.cnr.it>
wrote:

> separation between 'configure' and 'make'.  Hence I decided to write a
> little (again, *still incomplete*) utility that'd help a CL developer
> to set up a "configuration" for a given application in a single and
> well behaved file/form.  A typical form would looks like the following

A draft paper on the DEFCONFIGURATION tool is available in the CLOCC source
tree. The LaTeX source of the paper relies on a package which may not come
with most TeX distributions, so expect some tweaking to compile it under
these circumstances. Marco: what about making a PostScript version
available somewhere?

Paolo
From: Marco Antoniotti
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> On 14 Apr 2000 10:52:18 +0200, Marco Antoniotti <·······@parades.rm.cnr.it>
> wrote:
>
> > separation between 'configure' and 'make'.  Hence I decided to write a
> > little (again, *still incomplete*) utility that'd help a CL developer
> > to set up a "configuration" for a given application in a single and
> > well behaved file/form.  A typical form would looks like the following
>
> A draft paper on the DEFCONFIGURATION tool is available in the CLOCC source
> tree. The LaTeX source of the paper relies on a package which may not come
> with most TeX distributions,

Which one?  `html' or `alltt'?

> so expect some tweaking to compile it under
> these circumstances. Marco: what about making a PostScript version
> available somewhere?

Of course.

From: Rudolf Schlatte
Marco Antoniotti <·······@parades.rm.cnr.it> writes:

> Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:
>
> > A draft paper on the DEFCONFIGURATION tool is available in the CLOCC source
> > tree. The LaTeX source of the paper relies on a package which may not come
> > with most TeX distributions,
>
> Which one?  `html' or `alltt'?

html.sty is distributed with the latex2html program.  alltt.sty comes
with most TeXa.
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 18 Apr 2000 11:54:25 +0200, Marco Antoniotti <·······@parades.rm.cnr.it>
wrote:

> Which one?  `html' or `alltt'?

`html', but a bit of "strategic commenting" does the trick. And yes, I have
a rather old system that I hope to upgrade real soon asap :)

Paolo
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:55:03 -0700, Tunc Simsek
<······@robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I believe that defsystem had a license change.  Does anyone know where
> can we get
> the newest version with the new license (Marco??)

The version of MK:DEFSYSTEM with a less restrictive license is now part of
CLOCC (Common Lisp Open Code Collection):

  http://clocc.sourceforge.net/

Paolo