From: David Bilbey
Subject: Lisp as scripting language?
I'm writing a pacman clone (for my own education), and I would like to
utilize lisp.  I would like to embed a lisp interpreter into my game so
that the ghosts' AI can be written as lisp files.  The game would then just
load the lisp files (one for each ghost) and use a given function for
the AI of the ghost.  The lisp script should be able to get info from the
game such as pacman position.  Is there a good package available for this?

Thanks,
David Bilbey

--
"If a kid ever asks you how Santa Claus can live forever, I think a good
answer is that he drinks blood."  --Jack Handey

From: Ray Blaak
Subject: Re: Lisp as scripting language?
David Bilbey <········@bilbey.resnet.mtu.edu> writes:
> I'm writing a pacman clone (for my own education), and I would like to
> utilize lisp.  I would like to embed a lisp interpreter into my game so
> that the ghosts' AI can be written as lisp files.  The game would then just
> load the lisp files (one for each ghost) and use a given function for
> the AI of the ghost.  The lisp script should be able to get info from the
> game such as pacman position.  Is there a good package available for this?

scsh is a Scheme-based script system at http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/scsh

It has a well designed interface to OS services.

Some people here don't consider Scheme to be a real lisp, but it should be real
enough to get your work done.

--
Cheers,                                        The Rhythm is around me,
                                               The Rhythm has control.
From: David Bilbey
   +-----On 09 Apr 2000 10:40:00 -0700, Ray Blaak spoke unto us:----------
   | scsh is a Scheme-based script system at http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/scsh

   | It has a well designed interface to OS services.

First of all, thank you for your response.  I don't understand how this
system will fulfill my needs.  I need to be able to embed the interpreter
into my C++ program.  This seems like a stand-alone scripting language.  Am
I missing something?  Thanks again.

David Bilbey

From: Rahul Jain
In article <············@campus3.mtu.edu> posted on Sunday, April  9, 2000
1:55 PM, David Bilbey <········@bilbey.resnet.mtu.edu> wrote:
> First of all, thank you for your response.  I don't understand how this
> system will fulfill my needs.  I need to be able to embed the interpreter
> into my C++ program.  This seems like a stand-alone scripting language.  Am
> I missing something?  Thanks again.
>
> David Bilbey

librep might be a good solution:

librep.sourceforge.net

--
-> -\-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/^\-=-=-=<*><*>=-=-=-/^\-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/- <-
-> -/-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=/ {  Rahul -<>- Jain   } \=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\- <-
From: Tom Breton
David Bilbey <········@bilbey.resnet.mtu.edu> writes:

>    +-----On 09 Apr 2000 10:40:00 -0700, Ray Blaak spoke unto us:----------
>    | scsh is a Scheme-based script system at http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/scsh
>
>    | It has a well designed interface to OS services.
>
> First of all, thank you for your response.  I don't understand how this
> system will fulfill my needs.  I need to be able to embed the interpreter
> into my C++ program.  This seems like a stand-alone scripting language.  Am
> I missing something?  Thanks again.

If you're considering Scheme, you prolly want to look at Guile, a
Scheme which is meant to be embedded in C.

--
Tom Breton, http://world.std.com/~tob
Not using "gh" since 1997. http://world.std.com/~tob/ugh-free.html
From: Joe Marshall
David Bilbey <········@bilbey.resnet.mtu.edu> writes:

>    +-----On 09 Apr 2000 10:40:00 -0700, Ray Blaak spoke unto us:----------
>    | scsh is a Scheme-based script system at http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/scsh
>
>    | It has a well designed interface to OS services.
>
> First of all, thank you for your response.  I don't understand how this
> system will fulfill my needs.  I need to be able to embed the interpreter
> into my C++ program.

You left out that part, it makes a big difference.

You might try MzScheme.  I think you can embed that.
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Joe Marshall wrote:

> You might try MzScheme.  I think you can embed that.

elk is also embeddable delightfully simply (also a scheme, not a CL).

--tim
From: Fernando
On 9 Apr 2000 18:55:28 GMT, David Bilbey
<········@bilbey.resnet.mtu.edu> wrote:

>   +-----On 09 Apr 2000 10:40:00 -0700, Ray Blaak spoke unto us:----------
>   | scsh is a Scheme-based script system at http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/scsh
>
>   | It has a well designed interface to OS services.
>
>First of all, thank you for your response.  I don't understand how this
>system will fulfill my needs.  I need to be able to embed the interpreter
>into my C++ program.  This seems like a stand-alone scripting language.  Am
>I missing something?  Thanks again.

Why not doing everything in Lisp?  Anyway, you may want to download
the sourcecode for Abuse (a game by crack.com): a C game with an
embeded Lisp interpreter for the character's AI.

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//	frr at mindless dot com
From: thi
David Bilbey <········@bilbey.resnet.mtu.edu> writes:

> I'm writing a pacman clone (for my own education), and I would like to
> utilize lisp.  I would like to embed a lisp interpreter into my game
> so that the ghosts' AI can be written as lisp files.  The game would
> then just load the lisp files (one for each ghost) and use a given
> function for the AI of the ghost.  The lisp script should be able to
> get info from the game such as pacman position.  Is there a good
> package available for this?

a bit off-topic...

maybe you can revive the lisp used in the old "abuse" game?  (i'd offer
pointers, but i'm sort of afraid of typing "lisp abuse" into a search
engine. :-)

thi
From: dis81001
David Bilbey wrote:

> I'm writing a pacman clone (for my own education), and I would like to
> utilize lisp.  I would like to embed a lisp interpreter into my game so
> that the ghosts' AI can be written as lisp files.

You may be interested to take a look at Gnu Robots
(http://www.gnu.org/software/robots)

It is a game in which you write the AI of your character in Scheme (using
Guile), so it should have some ideas you could snarf from it for your Pacman.

Good luck

> "If a kid ever asks you how Santa Claus can live forever, I think a good
> answer is that he drinks blood."  --Jack Handey

Cool  sig :)
From: David Bilbey
   +-----On Sun, 09 Apr 2000 22:51:17 +0100, dis81001 spoke unto us:----------
   | David Bilbey wrote:

   |> I'm writing a pacman clone (for my own education), and I would like to
   |> utilize lisp.  I would like to embed a lisp interpreter into my game so
   |> that the ghosts' AI can be written as lisp files.

   | You may be interested to take a look at Gnu Robots
   | (http://www.gnu.org/software/robots)

Thanks for the pointer.

   |> "If a kid ever asks you how Santa Claus can live forever, I think a good
   |> answer is that he drinks blood."  --Jack Handey

   | Cool  sig :)

Thanks.

--
"When I think of all the arguments Marta and I have had, I realize how
silly most of them were.  And it makes me wonder why she wanted to argue
From: Chris Double
David Bilbey <········@bilbey.resnet.mtu.edu> writes:

> I'm writing a pacman clone (for my own education), and I would like
> to utilize lisp.

What platform?

For Win32, Corman Lisp[1] can be called using COM interfaces - allowing
it to be embedded in a program quite easilly. Another option would be
writing the whole thing in Lisp.

[1] http://www.corman.net

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/dylan
From: David Bilbey
   +-----On 10 Apr 2000 07:51:13 +1200, Chris Double spoke unto us:----------
   | What platform?

   | For Win32, Corman Lisp[1] can be called using COM interfaces - allowing
   | it to be embedded in a program quite easilly. Another option would be
   | writing the whole thing in Lisp.

Platform is Linux.  I would consider writing the whole thing in Lisp if it
weren't for 3 things.  The first is that I've already got most of the
infrastructure of the game written in C++ (which I am proficient in).  The
second thing is that I'm not that good with Lisp yet to write a game in it
(though that could be worked through).  Lastly, I don't know of a library
with functionality similiar to SDL (which I'm using in C++) for Lisp.  I
looked at MzScheme (capitalization?) and ELK and Guile so far.  I could
probably use any one of these.

David Bilbey

From: Chris Double
David Bilbey <········@bilbey.resnet.mtu.edu> writes:

> Lastly, I don't know of a library with functionality similiar to SDL
> (which I'm using in C++) for Lisp.

In case you decide to do future projects in Lisp, you can use SDL from
Lisp. Most of the Common Lisp's have decent ways of calling C
functions. SDL should be no problem to use in that manner.

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/cl
From: Rudolf Schlatte
Chris Double <·····@double.co.nz> writes:

> In case you decide to do future projects in Lisp, you can use SDL from
> Lisp. Most of the Common Lisp's have decent ways of calling C
> functions. SDL should be no problem to use in that manner.

SDL handles input too, so it uses callbacks :-(

I will tinker with my SDL bindings again when Peter van Eynde releases
the next version of the Debian CMUCL package.
From: Dave Pearson
On 9 Apr 2000 22:51:56 GMT, David Bilbey <········@bilbey.resnet.mtu.edu> wrote:

> [SNIP] Lastly, I don't know of a library with functionality similiar to
> SDL (which I'm using in C++) for Lisp. [SNIP]

There was someone on the librep <URL:http://librep.sourceforge.net/> who
said they were writing a game and using librep in the way you mention. They
also mentioned something about using SDL. Have a search of the mailing list
archives.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: | festival.jl - Make sawmill talk.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |  keydrag.jl - Drag windows from keyboard.