From: See text for reply address
Subject: 64-bit poplog on solaris+sparc
[To reply replace "Aaron.Sloman.XX" with "A.Sloman"]

Posted to:
    comp.lang.pop, comp.unix.solaris, comp.sys.sun.hardware,
    comp.lang.lisp, comp.lang.prolog

I wonder if anyone has tried or plans to try or would like
to try to convert Poplog on Solaris to a 64-bit system?

All the sources are available at the Free Poplog site
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html
    ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/freepoplog.html

The current version of solaris poplog runs in 32-bit mode:
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/new/solaris1553.tar.gz
    ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/dist/poplog/new/solaris1553.tar.gz

However there is a version that works in 64-bit mode on Alpha CPU
with Digital unix (or whatever it is now called).

Most of the system sources are the same, in these two directory
trees.
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/src/master/S.sun4r5/
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/src/master/S.axposf/

There are some programs which can be made to go significantly faster
by using 64bit integers as bit strings on the Alpha, and I assume the
same benefit would be available on Sparc.

If anyone tries the conversion I would be interested to know how they
get on. The guides to porting and rebuilding the system in
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/sysdoc/
may be useful.

I don't know how much work it will be. At one extreme it may simply be
a matter of recompiling existing sources using flags to specify 64 bits.

At another extreme it may involve a lot of work changing the run-time
incremental compiler to produce different machine instructions and also
changing the assembler files $popsrc/*.s

Will the same X libraries work?

Of course the change will significantly increase the size of many
data-structures, e.g. lists and full vectors.

Aaron
===
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )
EMAIL A.Sloman AT cs.bham.ac.uk   (········@please !)