From: Scott Jaderholm
Subject: SQL interaction from Lisp
A man approached me today and wanted me to set up some Linux mail
servers for his ISP that currently has some NT solution (that has been
acting up).  I didn't delve into it much with him, but he said they
used this accounting program that came with a mail package, and so
when they add an account to their accounting software (I heard him
mention that it used an SQL database) it automatically creates a
mailbox and stuff for the user with the mail software.

Now he wants to replace the mail server with a linux one, but he would
like to keep the accounting software.  What I would like to do, is use
lisp to pull the information that is needed out of the SQL database
and then had lisp do whatever it needs to (create the account etc).  I
suppose that most people would use perl for this purpose, but I don't
really feel like doing it.

Can anyone point me in a good direction for a library for lisp (I
don't know, I suppose I would use CMUCL or CLISP) that can talk to an
SQL database.  Maybe some documentation also?

Also, has anyone done this before or know of a solution that already
exists?

Thanks,
Scott

--
.--------------------------------------------------------------.
|        Scott Jaderholm       ·········@sage.cortland.com     |

From: Robert Monfera
Subject: Re: SQL interaction from Lisp
Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> Can anyone point me in a good direction for a library for lisp (I
> don't know, I suppose I would use CMUCL or CLISP) that can talk to an
> SQL database.

- Paul Meurer's SQL-ODBC (also comes with CL-HTTP)
- Pierre Mai's MaiSQL
- IMHO from the Onshore guys (you should've read it among recent
postings)
- Common SQL on Lispworks
- SQL package on ACL
- Bruce Tobin's currently posted example

any more?

Robert
From: Heinrichmeyer
yes one more:

pg.el, query postgres with emacs. Good for casual queries.

--
Fritz Heinrichmeyer ··························@fernuni-hagen.de
FernUniversitaet Hagen, LG ES, 58084 Hagen (Germany)
From: David Bakhash
Robert Monfera <·······@fisec.com> writes:

> Scott Jaderholm wrote:
>
> > Can anyone point me in a good direction for a library for lisp (I
> > don't know, I suppose I would use CMUCL or CLISP) that can talk to an
> > SQL database.
>
> - Paul Meurer's SQL-ODBC (also comes with CL-HTTP)
> - Pierre Mai's MaiSQL
> - IMHO from the Onshore guys (you should've read it among recent
> postings)
> - Common SQL on Lispworks
> - SQL package on ACL
> - Bruce Tobin's currently posted example

CLISP has a PostgreSQL package which works (I'm pretty sure) on Linux
and probably most other UNIX systems.  I don't know a single person
who actually uses PostgreSQL (most people don't even know how to
pronounce it; it's a real mouthful).  But it's free, and it's
supposedly a very good database application, and has some OO features
(though I recently read the docs on PostgreSQL, and their sense of
ODBMS is very different from something like AllegroStore).

there are undoubtedly more, and it might be worthwhile to check

http://www.alu.org (the Association of Lisp Users)

dave