From: Pertti Kellom�ki
Subject: Practical uses of MOP
Can anyone suggest a publicly available body of code that would make
use of the metaobject protocol? I am giving a seminar where we are
working through AMOP, and it would be nice to look at a larger piece
of software where the ideas have been put into good use.
--
Pertti Kellom\"aki, Tampere Univ. of Technology, Software Systems Lab

From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: Practical uses of MOP
On 03 Apr 2000 11:52:47 +0300, ··@stoffer.cs.tut.fi (Pertti Kellom�ki)
wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a publicly available body of code that would make
> use of the metaobject protocol? I am giving a seminar where we are

The MOP is used in the systems described in the following papers:

  "COSI: Adding Constraints to the object-oriented paradigm"
  Gary Curtis, Mark Giuliano
  Proceedings of the Lisp User Group Meeting '99
  Space Telescope Science Institute
  http://www.stsci.edu/

  Abstract:
  Trans is a Lisp system at the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI)
  which is a key part of the proposal preparation ground system for the
  Hubble Space Telescope (HST). It was originally developed in the late
  '80s using a mixture of procedural, and blackboard architectures. While
  the original application met its requirements and performed well for a
  number of years, the increasing complexity of the system and its changing

  role meant that it eventually needed to be re engineered.
  In developing a replacement we wanted a mechanism to manage the complex
  inter-dependencies between application objects in a dynamic system. To
  meet this need we developed the Constraint Sequencing Infrastructure
  (COSI) which supports a model of programming with methods as constraints.

  COSI automatically tracks dependencies between object state and
  constraints, manages the relationships between objects, and executes
  constraints when necessary to ensure that the internal state of the
  system is consistent.
  COSI is implemented as a general purpose extension to CLOS via the
  Metaobject Protocol (MOP). It extends the object-oriented paradigm to add

  the notion of methods as constraints which can automatically rerun when
  their inputs change.

  "NetCLOS and Parallel Abstractions - Actor and Structure Oriented
  Programming on Workstation Clusters with Common Lisp"
  Lothar Hotz, Michael Trowe
  Email: hotz AT informatik DOT uni-hamburg DOT de
  Proceedings of the European Lisp User Group Meeting '99

  Abstract:
  In this paper, we describe an extension of Common Lisp which allows the
  definition of parallel programs within that functional and
  object-oriented language. In particular, the extensions are the
  introducing of active objects, sending synchronous and asynchronous
  messages between them, automatic and manual distribution of active
  objects to object spaces, and transparent object managing. With these
  extensions, object-oriented parallel programming on a workstation cluster
  using different Common Lisp images is possible. These concepts are
  implemented as an extension of Allegro Common Lisp subsumed by the name
  NetCLOS. Furthermore, it is shown how NetCLOS can be used to realize
  parallel abstractions for implementing parallel AI methods at a highly
  abstract level.

  "Implementing Persistency in Common LISP"
  Heiko Kirschke
  Email: kirschke AT acm DOT org
  Proceedings of the European Lisp User Group Meeting '99

  Abstract:
  This paper presents an overview of PLOB, a system for Persistent Lisp
  Objects. Besides describing the architecture of the system, the paper
  focuses on the practical issues of developing a heterogeneous and
  portable system using LISP, CLOS, and C. The major features of PLOB are
  explained.

  The software is available at:
  http://www.lisp.de/software/plob/

Paolo
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
"Pertti Kellom�ki" wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a publicly available body of code that would make
> use of the metaobject protocol? I am giving a seminar where we are
> working through AMOP, and it would be nice to look at a larger piece
> of software where the ideas have been put into good use.
> --
> Pertti Kellom\"aki, Tampere Univ. of Technology, Software Systems Lab

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/context/125306/0

Postscript through the fossilized EPFL link below.

--
Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Eng & Networking

www.csem.ch      www.vrai.com     ligwww.epfl.ch/matomira.html