From: Jonathan
Subject: Emacs and Lisp question
Is there a way to get Emacs (I'm using GNU Emacs 20.3.1 for Windows) to show
a second cursor that traces the mirror parens of the one the current one is
at, the way the editor in the ACL IDE does? Or is there a key combination
that would let me hold the cursor over a closing parens and see which was
the matching opening parens? Or I'd settle for anything that gets a similar
effect.

Alternatively, does anyone know of an editor with  Emacs-like code
reformatting capabilities (and ideally syntax highlighting) for Lisp on
Windows?

Jonathan Coupe

From: Christopher R. Barry
Subject: Re: Emacs and Lisp question
"Jonathan" <········@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Is there a way to get Emacs (I'm using GNU Emacs 20.3.1 for Windows) to show
> a second cursor that traces the mirror parens of the one the current one is
> at, the way the editor in the ACL IDE does? Or is there a key combination
> that would let me hold the cursor over a closing parens and see which was
> the matching opening parens? Or I'd settle for anything that gets a similar
> effect.

Chances are you really don't need this. You should be able to tell
just from the indentation of your Lisp code whether or not your parens
are balanced. An exception is when you need to insert 7-10 parenthesis
at the end of a large function. For that you can use "close-all-lisp",
often bound to `]', to automatically insert the right number of
parens.

Christopher
From: Dave Pearson
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:42:13 GMT, Christopher R. Barry <······@2xtreme.net> wrote:

> For that you can use "close-all-lisp", often bound to `]', to
> automatically insert the right number of parens.

Where does `close-all-lisp' come from? It doesn't appear to be part of GNU
emacs or Xemacs.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: | boxquote.el - "Boxed" text quoting.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ | binclock.el - emacs binary clock.
From: Marco Antoniotti
··········@hagbard.demon.co.uk (Dave Pearson) writes:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:42:13 GMT, Christopher R. Barry <······@2xtreme.net> wrote:
>
> > For that you can use "close-all-lisp", often bound to `]', to
> > automatically insert the right number of parens.
>
> Where does `close-all-lisp' come from? It doesn't appear to be part of GNU
> emacs or Xemacs.

(with-shameless-plug "http://ilisp.cons.org")

Cheers

http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it/~marcoxa
From: Samir Barjoud
Marco Antoniotti <·······@copernico.parades.rm.cnr.it> writes:

> > Where does `close-all-lisp' come from? It doesn't appear to be part of GNU
> > emacs or Xemacs.
>
> (with-shameless-plug "http://ilisp.cons.org")

It's also in Franz's ELI as `fi:super-paren'.  I guess it originated
on some LISPM (everything else seems to have done so).

--
Samir Barjoud
·····@mindspring.com
From: William Deakin
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> (with-shameless-plug "http://ilisp.cons.org")

There is nothing wrong with a (with-shameless-plug ...) form.

But is it a macro or a function? ;)

Best Regards,

:) will
From: Samir Barjoud
"Jonathan" <········@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Is there a way to get Emacs (I'm using GNU Emacs 20.3.1 for Windows) to show
> a second cursor that traces the mirror parens of the one the current one is
> at, the way the editor in the ACL IDE does? Or is there a key combination
> that would let me hold the cursor over a closing parens and see which was
> the matching opening parens? Or I'd settle for anything that gets a similar
> effect.

'gnu.emacs.help' would have been a more appropriate newsgroup for this
question.

In your .emacs:

(setq show-paren-delay 0)
(show-paren-mode 1)

--
Samir Barjoud
·····@mindspring.com
From: Christopher R. Barry
Samir Barjoud <·····@mindspring.com> writes:

> "Jonathan" <········@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Is there a way to get Emacs (I'm using GNU Emacs 20.3.1 for Windows) to show
> > a second cursor that traces the mirror parens of the one the current one is
> > at, the way the editor in the ACL IDE does? Or is there a key combination
> > that would let me hold the cursor over a closing parens and see which was
> > the matching opening parens? Or I'd settle for anything that gets a similar
> > effect.
>
> 'gnu.emacs.help' would have been a more appropriate newsgroup for this
> question.
>
> In your .emacs:
>
> (setq show-paren-delay 0)
> (show-paren-mode 1)

Didn't he already have that? (Which is all you need.) Perhaps I
misunderstood his question when I replied to him. I thought he was
looking for something a lot fancier. (Reading his question over a few
times, I'm not at all clear as to exactly what he wants to do.)

Christopher
From: Marco Antoniotti
I use a nifty little package called 'flashparen' by Noah Frieman.

Very usefeul indeed.

From: David Combs
In article <··············@copernico.parades.rm.cnr.it>,
Marco Antoniotti  <·······@copernico.parades.rm.cnr.it> wrote:

>I use a nifty little package called 'flashparen' by Noah Frieman.
>
>Very usefeul indeed.

And where do you grab it from?

David