From: Neil Hunt
Subject: UK lisp courses?
I am a PhD student planning to use lisp to develop social simulations. I
have never done any programming before of any sort and I am working
through Paul Graham's 1996 book and the tutorials it includes. To help
me further I am looking for a course that I could sit in on that would
be accessible to me in London or SE England.  Can anyone advise me
whether there is one?

TIA

Neil
Neil Hunt:  Honorary  Research  Worker, National Addiction Centre,
Institute of Psychiatry;  Honorary  Lecturer,  Kent Institute  for
Medicine  and Health Sciences,  University of  Kent at Canterbury;
Research  and  Audit  Manager, Invicta Community  Care  NHS Trust,
George  Villa,  Hermitage  Lane,  Maidstone,  Kent  ME16  9PH,  UK
Tel:+ 44 (0) 1622 725000 x306,            Fax + 44 (0) 1622 725290
····@dadden.demon.co.uk  Views  expressed  in this email  are  not
necessarily those of any organisations with which I am associated.

From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: UK lisp courses?
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:07:25 +0100, Neil Hunt <····@dadden.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> I am a PhD student planning to use lisp to develop social simulations. I
> have never done any programming before of any sort and I am working
> through Paul Graham's 1996 book and the tutorials it includes. To help
> me further I am looking for a course that I could sit in on that would
> be accessible to me in London or SE England.  Can anyone advise me
> whether there is one?

Have a look at David Lamkins' online book "Successful Lisp":

  http://psg.com/~dlamkins/left/sl/sl.html

Paolo
From: Howard R. Stearns
See http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/learn.htm

From: Andrew Cooke
Hi,

The Open University has a Lisp module in their computing course, but it
may be that it is being run for the last time (I can't remember - they
do change their courses quite often).  They have a web site that I
(also) can't remember, but if you try a few variations on www.ou.ac.uk
or www.open-university.ac.uk you should find it...

Learning is a very individual thing - personally I find the best way to
learn a computing language is by thinking of a simple program I'd like
and then sitting down and working out how to do it in that language.
However, starting programming for the *first time* may well be different
(it happened so long ago for me that I can't remember (again) any useful
information that might help :-).

Good luck,
Andrew

In article <················@dadden.demon.co.uk>,
  Neil Hunt <····@dadden.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I am a PhD student planning to use lisp to develop social simulations.
> have never done any programming before of any sort and I am working
> through Paul Graham's 1996 book and the tutorials it includes. To help
> me further I am looking for a course that I could sit in on that would
> be accessible to me in London or SE England.  Can anyone advise me
> whether there is one?
>
> TIA
>
> Neil
> Neil Hunt:  Honorary  Research  Worker, National Addiction Centre,
> Institute of Psychiatry;  Honorary  Lecturer,  Kent Institute  for
> Medicine  and Health Sciences,  University of  Kent at Canterbury;
> Research  and  Audit  Manager, Invicta Community  Care  NHS Trust,
> George  Villa,  Hermitage  Lane,  Maidstone,  Kent  ME16  9PH,  UK
> Tel:+ 44 (0) 1622 725000 x306,            Fax + 44 (0) 1622 725290
> ····@dadden.demon.co.uk  Views  expressed  in this email  are  not
> necessarily those of any organisations with which I am associated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Andrew Cooke
PS.  Not a lisp course, but may be helpful:
http://psg.com/~dlamkins/left/sl/html/contents.html