From: Andrey V. Stolyarov
Subject: Q: CL scope/extent & closures implementation
Colleagues,

I'm implementing a kind of Lisp dialect and I've got a trouble with
funarg problem. I've read CLTL2 and got confused by how to implement
all these strange rules of scope and extent.

Can anyone  advice me or point me to an information source (preferably
in Internet)? There's always a way to learn from GNU CL source code,
but I dont feel ready to ;-)

Andrey

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Q: CL scope/extent & closures implementation
"Andrey V. Stolyarov" <········@dataforce.net> writes:

> Colleagues,
>
> I'm implementing a kind of Lisp dialect and I've got a trouble with
> funarg problem. I've read CLTL2 and got confused by how to implement
> all these strange rules of scope and extent.
>
> Can anyone  advice me or point me to an information source (preferably
> in Internet)? There's always a way to learn from GNU CL source code,
> but I dont feel ready to ;-)

You could read about how algol 60 did it, since scheme is base don that.

Or  you could try to find a copy of Steele's paper "Macaroni is
better than spaghetti".  It's on obscure paper but was, I think,
the original reference to doing the algol thing "right" in lisp and
was a foundational part of scheme's genesis, I think.

Or you could post specific problems you're having here and people would
probably help you.  But we can't comment more specifically unless you do.
From: Chuck Fry
In article <···············@world.std.com>,
Kent M Pitman  <······@world.std.com> wrote:
>Or  you could try to find a copy of Steele's paper "Macaroni is
>better than spaghetti".  It's on obscure paper but was, I think,
>the original reference to doing the algol thing "right" in lisp and
>was a foundational part of scheme's genesis, I think.

I remember reading that at UC Irvine some 20 years ago... I doubt that I
still have a copy.  Is there any chance it's available on-line,
e.g. from www.ai.mit.edu?  I can't seem to find it in their searchable
 -- Chuck
--
	    Chuck Fry -- Jack of all trades, master of none
 ······@chucko.com (text only please)  ········@home.com (MIME enabled)
From: Kent M Pitman
······@best.com (Chuck Fry) writes:

> In article <···············@world.std.com>,
> Kent M Pitman  <······@world.std.com> wrote:
> >Or  you could try to find a copy of Steele's paper "Macaroni is
> >better than spaghetti".  It's on obscure paper but was, I think,
> >the original reference to doing the algol thing "right" in lisp and
> >was a foundational part of scheme's genesis, I think.
>
> I remember reading that at UC Irvine some 20 years ago... I doubt that I
> still have a copy.  Is there any chance it's available on-line,
> e.g. from www.ai.mit.edu?  I can't seem to find it in their searchable
>  -- Chuck

I think it was published in some obscure journal--I don't think it was
an MIT publication.  That's why it's hard to find.  I'm not sure I have
a copy either.  I'll ask Steele.
From: Christopher Browne
On 28 Sep 1999 22:53:02 GMT, Chuck Fry <······@best.com> wrote:
>In article <···············@world.std.com>,
>Kent M Pitman  <······@world.std.com> wrote:
>>Or  you could try to find a copy of Steele's paper "Macaroni is
>>better than spaghetti".  It's on obscure paper but was, I think,
>>the original reference to doing the algol thing "right" in lisp and
>>was a foundational part of scheme's genesis, I think.
>
>I remember reading that at UC Irvine some 20 years ago... I doubt that I
>still have a copy.  Is there any chance it's available on-line,
>e.g. from www.ai.mit.edu?  I can't seem to find it in their searchable

<http://www.cs.indiana.edu/scheme-repository/R4RS/r4rs_13.html>
[MACARONI]
     Guy Lewis Steele Jr. Macaroni is better than spaghetti. In
     Proceedings of the Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and
     Programming Languages, pages 60--66. These proceedings were
     published as a special joint issue of SIGPLAN Notices 12(8) and
     SIGART Newsletter 64, August 1977.

I suspect that SIGART/ACM probably hold some rights on redistribution
of this.  Knowing the issue of SIGPLAN/SIGART may be helpful in
locating how to find it in a library, as worst-case...
--
"We defeated the enemy with teamwork and the hammer of not bickering."
- The Shoveller, Mystery Men
From: Mark K. Gardner
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:26:31 GMT, Kent M Pitman <······@world.std.com> wrote:
>Or  you could try to find a copy of Steele's paper "Macaroni is
>better than spaghetti".  It's on obscure paper but was, I think,
>the original reference to doing the algol thing "right" in lisp and
>was a foundational part of scheme's genesis, I think.

From the Revised(3) Scheme Bibliography
<http://ftp-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/r3rs_12.html>:

     * [Macaroni] Guy Lewis Steele Jr. Macaroni is better than spaghetti.
       In Proceedings of the Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and
       Programming Languages, pages 60--66. These proceedings were
       published as a special joint issue of SIGPLAN Notices 12(8) and
       SIGART Newsletter 64, August 1977.

Mark

--
Mark K. Gardner (········@cs.uiuc.edu)
Real-Time Systems Laboratory
From: David Combs
In article <···············@world.std.com>,
Kent M Pitman  <······@world.std.com> wrote:
><snip>
>You could read about how algol 60 did it, since scheme is base don that.

<snip>

I bet I've got a book you don't!

  Algol 60 Implementation, by Randel and Russel ('62?)

  :-)

David