From: Howard R. Stearns
Subject: newletter?
One thread here mentioned the difficulties some people have had in
convincing their management about the sensibility of Lisp, and their
concerns over how things are handled in this newgroup.

Another thread mentioned that nothing has replaced the "Lisp Pointers"
journal.

Previous noise has been made at various times about starting a journal.

Perhaps some of the effort that goes into avocacy in this newgroup can
be directed into a simple newsletter?  No professional group
association.  No fancy distribution mechanisms.  Just a simple
newsletter.

Mind you, some vendors have such newsletters, and I certainly encourage
people to contribute to them -- I'm sure the editors would love to have
more material.  If you have concerns over association with a vendor, or
if they are just too slow for you, just do it yourself.

Not to confuse the issue, I'm not going to be able to keep editing
www.lisp.org forever, so if anyone with advocacy on their mind wants to
take over, I'd like to hear from them.  Such a site is a good place to
home such a newsletter, but I haven't the time.

From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: newletter?
On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:48:21 -0500, "Howard R. Stearns" <······@elwood.com>
wrote:

> Previous noise has been made at various times about starting a journal.
>
> Perhaps some of the effort that goes into avocacy in this newgroup can
> be directed into a simple newsletter?  No professional group

I generated some of that noise. It was about a technical journal, but this
would not exclude the coverage of advocacy issues. Are you referring to a
newsletter entirely devoted to Lisp advocacy?

Perhaps each issue of a possible newsletter might feature a case study of a
Lisp project, covering both technical (why Lisp was chosen, which systems
and tools were used, etc.) and management (why and how management
chose/accepted Lisp, project management implications, user comments, etc.)
issues. The content could be based on interviews (SETFplace interviews? :)
of an editor with members of the featured project.

I am still willing to contribute to such an effort. I might even be the
editor who interviews project members. But since I am a beginner, it would
be necessary at least another (senior? no, not Emacs :-) editor with much
stronger background and experience. Besides having the last word on
content, the senior editor might also write an editorial.

I also throw in a proposal for the newsletter's name: "Lisp Civilization".
This is because the more I learn about Lisp, the more I feel like an
archaeologist discovering an ancient, wise, rich, advanced and refined
civilization.

> association.  No fancy distribution mechanisms.  Just a simple
> newsletter.

In the spirit of "exploratory publishing" (does it sound familiar? :-) the
newsletter could start as a simple (bi?)monthly Web page or email message,
and evolve as needed.

Paolo
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> I also throw in a proposal for the newsletter's name: "Lisp Civilization".
> This is because the more I learn about Lisp, the more I feel like an
> archaeologist discovering an ancient, wise, rich, advanced and refined
> civilization.

"Lispeology" ? Good name for a church. Hm.. Rainer would have to be careful
;-)

I'd guess it would fit well among the other magazines in a phonoaudiologist
waiting room, too ;-)

And there's "Lispeleology" for the Symbolics, python, %, ::, .  and other
perverts ;-)

--
((( DANGER )) LISP BIGOT (( DANGER )) LISP BIGOT (( DANGER )))

Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Eng & Networking
Advanced Systems Engineering Division
CSEM
Jaquet-Droz 1                   email: matomira AT acm DOT org
CH-2007 Neuchatel                 tel:       +41 (32) 720-5157
Switzerland                       FAX:       +41 (32) 720-5720

www.csem.ch      www.vrai.com     ligwww.epfl.ch/matomira.html
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·················@iname.com>, "Fernando D. Mato Mira" <········@iname.com> wrote:

> Paolo Amoroso wrote:
>
> > I also throw in a proposal for the newsletter's name: "Lisp Civilization".
> > This is because the more I learn about Lisp, the more I feel like an
> > archaeologist discovering an ancient, wise, rich, advanced and refined
> > civilization.
>
> "Lispeology" ? Good name for a church. Hm.. Rainer would have to be careful
> ;-)

I don't get the joke. ;-)
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> In article <·················@iname.com>, "Fernando D. Mato Mira" <········@iname.com> wrote:
>
> > "Lispeology" ? Good name for a church. Hm.. Rainer would have to be careful
> > ;-)
>
> I don't get the joke. ;-)

Disclaimer: not related in any way with the `self regulation' thing
From: Fernando Mato Mira
From: Marc Battyani
Howard R. Stearns <······@elwood.com> wrote in message
······················@elwood.com...
> One thread here mentioned the difficulties some people have had in
> convincing their management about the sensibility of Lisp, and their
> concerns over how things are handled in this newgroup.
>
> Another thread mentioned that nothing has replaced the "Lisp Pointers"
> journal.
>
> Previous noise has been made at various times about starting a journal.
>
> Perhaps some of the effort that goes into avocacy in this newgroup can
> be directed into a simple newsletter?  No professional group
> association.  No fancy distribution mechanisms.  Just a simple
> newsletter.

Great Idea!
It's certainly easier to convince people when you have real life examples to
show them.
It's also interesting to see what people do with lisp. I'm sure that the
application domains are quite diverse.

Marc Battyani