From: Vello Raasman
Subject: Getting data from failed Quantum
 Hello,

How to get data back from failed Quantum 2,5GB IDE hard disk, ver 01.E?
I know data is still there but proper instruments to fetch it are
missing.
During many efforts I have got back 80% of it content as raw data but
missing part is most important.
I have tried to change electronics without positive results.
Using Tiramisu gave zero results as it couldn�t survive disk�s failure.
Symptoms are:
1.Disk fails to initialize at normal conditions and such is difficult
to mount and get it visible to OP system.
2..At 80% from start begin bad sectors, which actually appears to be
most likely misalignment of heads. With Norton DE I can read some 1000
sectors within one session from this area, with many retrials, until
disk spindle shuts down with error code 74. Raw data, read in such way,
is OK but there is still 300.000 sectors left!!! That is it finishes in
a condition #74 as after unsuccessful initialization during boot.
3. From Quantum support I got only the code 74 explanation, follows as
I got it.
74,  4,06,05,  0   Recal fault:  Cannot detect SAM during un_parking.
Can anyone put it into plain English. I assume that it means just
recalibration failure. Is there any other suggestions?
4. Why it just doesn�t go into failure state earlier, sometimes I have
accessed data several hours until failure. Why systematical trials to
last 20% of sectors are so fatal, but still giving me some time to read
it.
Is it just a some highest level of error as it is doing recalibration
many times until this fatal error.
I want to point that possibly there this is drawback of  diskware.

Solutions might be:
Flash Diskware downgrade to the state where it doesn�t stops after
certain times of retrials or listens still commands without cold reset.
(Last is a problem as mounting to OP system manually takes approx. 30
min. and often disk still isn�t accessible due to unknown state during
manipulation.)
Software which gives direct access to the disk registers.
Raw reading software, which doesn�t ask every second to retry. (Now
used Norton DE 8.0. Retry ratio is approx. 200 times per 1000 sectors
read.) or reads sectors somehow less aggressively, without driving the
disk to fatal error #74.

If I forgot something, tell me. (Perhaps greetings to guys who gave us
technology and software as is, without any responsibility of results.
Just read warranty conditions or manufactures �user agreements�. Even
every kind of �reverse engineering� is criminal no matter if I just
want to get back my data.)

Still, any good ideas are welcomed.

Vello, Tallinn

PS. Other manufactures, my top preference has been until now Quantum
IDE drives. I have sold many Quantum drives, now you can change my
mind� with some support and know-how.

--
Vello Tallinn
·····@online.ee