From: Nacho Mayorga
Subject: Common Lisp on Linux. Help needed!
Hi you all!

I've been working on Allegro Common Lisp (which moved to Macintosh
Common Lisp) on a Mac platform for a while. Now I'm moving to Linux and
I'd like to know if there is any source of information about the
available Lisps on this OS. In fact, I'd like to see a comparison or
something. You know, which ones are (really) Common Lisp, if the Allegro
version on Linux is stable and reliable or what about the GCL.

So, please, any help or hints would be welcome.

Thanks a bunch in advance,

                                                      Nacho

From: Lars Bj�nnes
Subject: Re: Common Lisp on Linux. Help needed!
Nacho Mayorga <········@ieec.uned.es> writes:

>  In fact, I'd like to see a comparison or something. You know, which
>  ones are (really) Common Lisp, if the Allegro version on Linux is
>  stable and reliable or what about the GCL.

I'm by no means an experienced lisper, but I've used ACL for Linux
with OpenGL, CL-HTTP and other tasks for some time now, and I'm so far
very pleased with it. The installation is easy and the Emacs interface
is great. Highly recommended!

--
Lars
From: Chuck Fry
In article <················@ieec.uned.es>,
Nacho Mayorga  <········@ieec.uned.es> wrote:
>I've been working on Allegro Common Lisp (which moved to Macintosh
>Common Lisp) on a Mac platform for a while. Now I'm moving to Linux and
>I'd like to know if there is any source of information about the
>available Lisps on this OS. In fact, I'd like to see a comparison or
>something. You know, which ones are (really) Common Lisp, if the Allegro
>version on Linux is stable and reliable or what about the GCL.

Several of my colleagues are using ACL on Linux on PCs and laptops, and
it is quite stable and reliable, as much so as their workstation Lisp.
This is no surprise, because as far as I know it *is* their workstation
Lisp, simply ported to the PC Linux platform.

The Allegro you used on Mac is an entirely different product.

BTW, Franz has also released a free* ACL for LinuxPPC and MkLinux, which
run on Power Macintosh hardware.

 -- Chuck

* Free, that is, for non-commercial and non-governmental use.  See
www.franz.com for details.  No, I don't work for Franz, I'm a customer
of theirs in my day job.
--
	    Chuck Fry -- Jack of all trades, master of none
 ······@chucko.com (text only please)  ········@home.com (MIME enabled)
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Nacho Mayorga wrote:

> Hi you all!
>
> version on Linux is stable and reliable or what about the GCL.

It sucks that FSF had to put their stamp on [A]KCL. Many people is misled
into thinking that because it's GNU, it must be great. There are better
things, like CMUCL.

On the commercial side, Harlequin Professional looks extremely promising.
Not only do you get CLIM, but also royalty-free delivery of apps.
From: Daniel Barlow
Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:
> It sucks that FSF had to put their stamp on [A]KCL. Many people is misled
> into thinking that because it's GNU, it must be great. There are better
> things, like CMUCL.

"Had to" meaning that they were forced to, or do you just mean "did"?
Is there a story here?

(Plug for the new Lisper: how-to-set-up-CMUCL-on-Linux document at
http://ww.telent.net/lisp.howto.html.  Invitation to the more
experienced Lisper: go and look at it and tell me how it sucks.
Constructive criticism preferred)

-dan
From: Barry Margolin
In article <··············@tninkpad.telent.net>,
Daniel Barlow  <···@tninkpad.telent.net> wrote:
>Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:
>> It sucks that FSF had to put their stamp on [A]KCL. Many people is misled
>> into thinking that because it's GNU, it must be great. There are better
>> things, like CMUCL.
>
>"Had to" meaning that they were forced to, or do you just mean "did"?
>Is there a story here?

I think "had to" means "felt the need to".

It's true that FSF has a well-deserved reputation for quality in the
software that they've developed.  If something is "branded" GNU and
distributed by FSF, people are likely to assume that they developed it and
that it conforms to their quality standards, not that it was simply adopted
as is with merely a name change.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
From: Andrew Cooke
In article <··············@tninkpad.telent.net>,
  Daniel Barlow <···@tninkpad.telent.net> wrote:
> (Plug for the new Lisper: how-to-set-up-CMUCL-on-Linux document at
> http://ww.telent.net/lisp.howto.html.  Invitation to the more
> experienced Lisper: go and look at it and tell me how it sucks.
> Constructive criticism preferred)

This new lisper found it useful, even when using clisp (although it
seems to have had a new paint job since I was reading it a month or two
ago....)

Thanks,
Andrew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/