From: Fernando
Subject: book recommendation
Hi!

	What's the best book for getting started with common lisp and
clos for someone with a decent background in scheme and c++? O:-)

Thanks

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//	frr at mindless dot com

From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: Re: book recommendation
·······@must.die (Fernando) writes:

> Hi!
>
> 	What's the best book for getting started with common lisp and
> clos for someone with a decent background in scheme and c++? O:-)

i'd say

  _ansi common lisp_ paul graham

but you may want to look at

  _paradigms of artificial intelligence programing_ peter norvig

  _on lisp_ paul graham

and perhaps

  _common lisp the reference_ 2nd ed guy steele.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[········@ne.mediaone.net]
From: Christopher Browne
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:29:05 GMT, Fernando <·······@must.die> wrote:
>What's the best book for getting started with common lisp and clos
>for someone with a decent background in scheme and c++? O:-)

A good book on CL is Graham's "ANSI Common Lisp."
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0133708756/northtexaslinuxuA/>

It's not clear to me how strong it is on CLOS; it has a chapter on the
topic that seems useful, but relatively introductory.

It'll take long enough to get "up to speed" on the rest of the
language that I suspect that this lack won't be much of a concern to
you until closer to the next millennium.

You should also avail yourself of the "fairly definitive" HyperSpec
<http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/HyperSpec/> which will
provide greater detail for many of the questions that Graham's book
elicits but won't answer (due to not being six feet thick :-)).
--
People consistently decry X for doing precisely what it was designed to
do: provide a mechanism to allow *OTHERS* to build GUI systems.
From: Axel Schairer
·······@must.die (Fernando) writes:
> 	What's the best book for getting started with common lisp and
> clos for someone with a decent background in scheme and c++? O:-)

Perhaps the following is helpful for the CLOS bit.  If I remember
correctly the book is quite introductory. -- Axel

@Book{		  kleene89:clos,
  author	= "Sonya E. Kleene",
  title		= "Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp: A Programmer's
		   Guide to CLOS",
  publisher	= {Addison Wesley},
  year		= 1989,
  address	= {Reading, MA}
}
From: Howard R. Stearns
Fernando wrote:

> Hi!
>
>         What's the best book for getting started with common lisp and
> clos for someone with a decent background in scheme and c++? O:-)
>
> Thanks
>
> //-----------------------------------------------
> //      Fernando Rodriguez Romero
> //
> //      frr at mindless dot com
> //------------------------------------------------

See the book reviews at http://www.lisp.org.  In addition to some of the
books mentioned on this thread, you might also be interested in some of
the MOP and language comparison works.
From: ········@my-deja.com
According to a coworker with some background in LISP, a good start-up
book is "The ANSI Common Lisp" ... after some investigation, others
seem to agree.  A link below lists reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0133708756/productlink

I hope that this is helpful.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/