From: Gavin E. Gleason
Subject: Formatting system
I've recently been thinking about what sort of syntax would be most useful
and powerful for a document formatting system.  My initial thought was about
what I wanted it to feel like when writing it, because I want it to be easy
to use and easier to remember then something like latex. I've run across a
problem in figuring out how I should evaluate information inside of the
document.  Here is an example of a document:

(defdocument :title "Title"
             :abstract "This is an abstract"
             :date (date)
             :author "Gavin E. Mendel-Gleason"
             :body

        "Some text to be output."

        (show "image.gif" :border-size 10 :center 't)

	"Should something like a defun be nessessarily wrapped in a progv
         such that its return value would be nil, therefor distinct from
         something that should be used by the formatter."

	(progv
	  (defun add3 (n) (+ n 3)))
	"End of the document."

	(bibliography))

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

--
"Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon."
	-Alan Perlis

From: Lieven Marchand
Subject: Re: Formatting system
········@unm.edu (Gavin E. Gleason) writes:

> I've recently been thinking about what sort of syntax would be most useful
> and powerful for a document formatting system.  My initial thought was about
> what I wanted it to feel like when writing it, because I want it to be easy
> to use and easier to remember then something like latex. I've run across a
> problem in figuring out how I should evaluate information inside of the
> document.  Here is an example of a document:

[example of syntax snipped]

I think one thing to consider is extensibility. How would users add
for instance a :LIST-OF-FIGURES if you hadn't provided that? It is
possible to make DEFDOCUMENT an extensible macro like the MIT
implementation of LOOP but perhaps you're better of with a CLOS based
approach that has classes for each kind of item and a protocol to
display them or convert the document to an output medium. Symbolics
CONCORDIA worked like that but I don't know whether there is
documentation of it available on the net.

--
Lieven Marchand <···@bewoner.dma.be>
If there are aliens, they play Go. -- Lasker
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 12 Sep 1999 00:45:29 -0600, ········@unm.edu (Gavin E. Gleason) wrote:

> I've recently been thinking about what sort of syntax would be most useful
> and powerful for a document formatting system.  My initial thought was about
[...]
> Any other suggestions are welcomed.

You might check LAML:

  http://www.cs.auc.dk/~normark/laml/