From: Nils Goesche
Subject: Problem with Allegro's eli
Hi!

Recently I downloaded the trial version of Allegro Common Lisp
(Linux).  It came with an Emacs interface (I am using Emacs 20.3.1)
called ``Eli''.  I like it and would like to use it, but there is a
strange error I keep getting, which is so annoying that I don't
believe that it is a bug in eli but rather in my configuration.

Very often when I have just deleted several lines backwardly hitting
`M-DEL', whenever I complete a line and hit <RET> again I get an
error:

``Args out of range: 1, 38''

It appears that the function `parse-partial-sexp' is called from
``fi::slow-parse-partial-sexp'' with some saved values which weren't
updated when I hit `M-DEL'.  I will continue to search the bug, but in
fact I wanted just do some exercises from ``Paradigms of Artificial
Intelligence Programming'' and find my own bugs.

My question is: Has anyone encountered this bug before?  What is wrong
with my configuration?  Or is this normal behavior from eli?
Oh, my configuration is simply

(load "/usr/local/acl5/eli/fi-site-init")
--
Nils Goesche
Fatal Error # 0x155 : Windows not found.

From: Nils Goesche
Subject: Re: Problem with Allegro's eli
Hi again.

Now I found an easily reproducable variant of the bug:

Create a new file, say foo.cl.  Start typing:

(let ((words '(cat)))

and hit return.  It goes to the next line and autoindents.  Now hit
`M-DEL' to erase the cat and type `dog' instead.  type three
parantheses and hit return again.  Now it will put some whitespace
before the first line!  And when you go back to the first line with
`C-p' and hit <TAB> to correct that, it will go on indenting the first
line more and more to the right every time you hit the <TAB> key until
you get an error message: ``Scan error: "Unbalanced parentheses", 10,
45'' :-)
From: Barry Margolin
In article <··············@goesche.b.uunet.de>,
Nils Goesche  <····@goesche.b.uunet.de> wrote:
>Recently I downloaded the trial version of Allegro Common Lisp
>(Linux).  It came with an Emacs interface (I am using Emacs 20.3.1)
>called ``Eli''.  I like it and would like to use it, but there is a
>strange error I keep getting, which is so annoying that I don't
>believe that it is a bug in eli but rather in my configuration.

You'll generally be better off posting questions about Emacs in
gnu.emacs.help.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com