From: Fernando Mato Mira
Subject: CVS (or other) interface?
Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
stuff from CL?
[ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]

Thanks in advance,

From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: CVS (or other) interface?
Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:

>Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
>stuff from CL?
>[ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]

What exactly do you need? emacs has its VC mode you probably know
about.

Useful would be to have CVS integrated with pathnames. Also useful
would be a parser that converts `cvs log` output in something directly
useable, with processable dates and (version) numbers. People did
parsers for rcs files (man rcsfile(5)) to do things like cvsweb, but
usually in perl...

For work, I'm reasonable happy with emacs/VC, so what is it you're
trying to do?

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Martin Cracauer wrote:

> Useful would be to have CVS integrated with pathnames. Also useful
> would be a parser that converts `cvs log` output in something directly
> useable, with processable dates and (version) numbers. People did
> parsers for rcs files (man rcsfile(5)) to do things like cvsweb, but
> usually in perl...

Given that CVS has a client-server interface, which is reasonably
comprehensible, it should be quite possible to implement some kind of
virtual CVS filesystem.  I often thought of doing something like that
for Genera, which has a lot of mechanism built in for supporting
different filesystems, but it seemed like a mad thing to do.

> For work, I'm reasonable happy with emacs/VC, so what is it you're
> trying to do?

I find emacs & VC reasonably comfortable too (or emacs & PCL-CVS which
is better for CVS).

--tim
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Martin Cracauer wrote:

> Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:
>
> >Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
> >stuff from CL?
> >[ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]
>
> What exactly do you need? emacs has its VC mode you probably know
> about.

Several customer requirements for an offer I am preparing read:
"The tool shall perform configuration management on the above files"

The intention is to write "the tool" in CL, not elisp, of course.
[BTW, using software coming from an `established vendor' allows it
to be qualified as COTS. Free software can be approved as OTS, but
"must be subject to full lifecycle documentation"]

Thanks,
From: Marco Antoniotti
Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:

> Martin Cracauer wrote:
>
> > Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:
> >
> > >Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
> > >stuff from CL?
> > >[ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]
> >
> > What exactly do you need? emacs has its VC mode you probably know
> > about.
>
> Several customer requirements for an offer I am preparing read:
> "The tool shall perform configuration management on the above files"

"Configuration Management" is not necessarily the same as "Revision
Control".  They are rather orthogonal views of a general "product
management" problem.

> The intention is to write "the tool" in CL, not elisp, of course.

Can you get the "customer" to pay for something that could be easily
used in all the CL implementations?  (You know what I mean :) ).

Cheers

http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it/~marcoxa
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> "Configuration Management" is not necessarily the same as "Revision
> Control".  They are rather orthogonal views of a general "product
> management" problem.

That's why I required clarifications from the client. I'd like to avoid this
issue
altogether and just use WITH-INPUT-FROM-FILE.

> > The intention is to write "the tool" in CL, not elisp, of course.
>
> Can you get the "customer" to pay for something that could be easily
> used in all the CL implementations?  (You know what I mean :) ).

5 seconds ago I was thinking about this. I'll have to make sure that if some
CM stuff
gets done, it goes into the OTS bundle, probably by starting an open source
project first
(LGPL maybe, but certainly not GPL), and paying the related work with other
funds.
I wouldn't like it to be a CSEM-only thing either.
[If some other people were interested in helping, mgmt buy-in should be
possible]
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Yuppie!

Sorry ;->
From: Howard R. Stearns
Fernando Mato Mira wrote:

> Martin Cracauer wrote:
>
> > Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:
> >
> > >Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
> > >stuff from CL?
> > >[ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]
> >
> > What exactly do you need? emacs has its VC mode you probably know
> > about.
>
> Several customer requirements for an offer I am preparing read:
> "The tool shall perform configuration management on the above files"
>
> The intention is to write "the tool" in CL, not elisp, of course.
> [BTW, using software coming from an `established vendor' allows it
> to be qualified as COTS. Free software can be approved as OTS, but
> "must be subject to full lifecycle documentation"]
>
> Thanks,

This is why, for years, I have been advocating a CLOS-PATHNAMES protocol
integrated with CLOS-STREAMS and OPEN.  Users could define their own
physical-pathname classes corresponding to RCS, SCC, or whatever they
want.  OPEN would just do the right thing on the given pathname.  None
of your system source code would have to know anything about how
versioning was actually implemented in the file system, and any change
would be transparent to the application.
From: Laurent Martelli

  Fernando> Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or
  Fernando> similar) stuff from CL?  [ (system "cvs checkout foo") is
  Fernando> not a valid answer ;-)]

Emacs has a CVS frontend. it does (system "cvs checkout foo") in the
end I think, but there are many wrappers. Look for "vc.el".

--
Laurent Martelli
········@iie.cnam.fr
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·················@iname.com>, Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> wrote:

> Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
> stuff from CL?
> [ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]
>
> Thanks in advance,

MCL has an interface to "sourceserver" and Genera has already a versioned
file- and defsystem - but I guess you were asking for Unix? ;-)
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> In article <·················@iname.com>, Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
> > stuff from CL?
> > [ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> MCL has an interface to "sourceserver" and Genera has already a versioned
> file- and defsystem - but I guess you were asking for Unix? ;-)

Source code => Unix
From: Marco Antoniotti
Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:

> Rainer Joswig wrote:
>
> > In article <·················@iname.com>, Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
> > > stuff from CL?
> > > [ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > MCL has an interface to "sourceserver" and Genera has already a versioned
> > file- and defsystem - but I guess you were asking for Unix? ;-)
>
> Source code => Unix

Apart form the goodness of "let's have everything in CL", seriously,
what is wrong with

	(system "cvs checkout foo")

or something similar?

From: Fernando Mato Mira
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> Apart form the goodness of "let's have everything in CL", seriously,
> what is wrong with
>
>         (system "cvs checkout foo")

Just that I'll have to implement the translations to this myself.
I was not thinking of a direct interface, but it would sure be nicer not having to deal with
temp files.
From: Raymond Wiker
Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:

> Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
> stuff from CL?
> [ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]

        You may want to take a look at Perforce
(www.perforce.com). It's a client-server based version control system
inspired by CVS, and comes with an API library (written in C++, but it
can be wrapped, obviously).

--
Raymond Wiker, Orion Systems AS
+47 370 61150
From: Marco Antoniotti
Raymond Wiker <·······@orion.no> writes:

> Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> writes:
>
> > Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
> > stuff from CL?
> > [ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]
>
>         You may want to take a look at Perforce
> (www.perforce.com). It's a client-server based version control system
> inspired by CVS, and comes with an API library (written in C++, but it
> can be wrapped, obviously).

PRCS and Xdelta are also usable as libraries
(http://xcf.berkeley.edu/~jmacd/prcs)

Client/Server support is still not quite there though!

From: Fernando Mato Mira
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> PRCS and Xdelta are also usable as libraries
> (http://xcf.berkeley.edu/~jmacd/prcs)
>
> Client/Server support is still not quite there though!

Via FFI? [I guess so]
Not too difficult to eventually port to Cygwin? [I guess so]
ETA of client-server support?
You dropped CVS for it? ;->
From: Fernando Mato Mira
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> PRCS and Xdelta are also usable as libraries
> (http://xcf.berkeley.edu/~jmacd/prcs)

It can't be used. It's GPL.
From: Jon Dyte
In article <·················@iname.com>,
  Fernando Mato Mira <········@iname.com> wrote:
> Is there some little utility code around for doing CVS (or similar)
> stuff from CL?
> [ (system "cvs checkout foo") is not a valid answer ;-)]
>
> Thanks in advance,

There is the code for an interface to RCS in the Ilog Talk distribution,
and I think Harley Davis posted it here a while ago when a similar
question was asked.
I'm not certain how work much is needed to port Talk -> CL nor am I
sure about licensing.

Jon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/