From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
Subject: Compiling CMUCL's CLX
Is there some simple combinations of keystrokes in the tools/ directory
that will just load the installed lisp and recompile the CLX subsystem
accordingly?

Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Eng & Networking
Advanced Systems Engineering Division
CSEM
Jaquet-Droz 1                   email: matomira AT acm DOT org
CH-2007 Neuchatel                 tel:       +41 (32) 720-5157
Switzerland                       FAX:       +41 (32) 720-5720

www.csem.ch      www.vrai.com     ligwww.epfl.ch/matomira.html

From: Christopher R. Barry
Subject: Re: Compiling CMUCL's CLX
"Fernando D. Mato Mira" <········@iname.com> writes:

> Is there some simple combinations of keystrokes in the tools/ directory
> that will just load the installed lisp and recompile the CLX subsystem
> accordingly?

In the root directory of the CMU CL source tree there should be a
do-clx-clm-hem.lisp file. This one will only rebuild those three
systems instead of the full compiler. (Which takes an eternity....)

Christopher
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
"Christopher R. Barry" wrote:

> "Fernando D. Mato Mira" <········@iname.com> writes:
>
> > Is there some simple combinations of keystrokes in the tools/ directory
> > that will just load the installed lisp and recompile the CLX subsystem
> > accordingly?
>
> In the root directory of the CMU CL source tree there should be a
> do-clx-clm-hem.lisp file. This one will only rebuild those three
> systems instead of the full compiler. (Which takes an eternity....)

Not there in the debian source package, but Paul Werkowski
sent another simple answer:

Assuming you have your "target:" search list
set properly, all you have to do to compile clx is

(load "target:tools/setup")
(load "target:tools/clxcom")

[for example: do (setf (ext:search-list "target:") '("/usr/src/cmucl/")) ]

Hm.There's a clx/build-clx.lisp file I hadn't seen too..

Thanks all,

--
((( DANGER )) LISP BIGOT (( DANGER )) LISP BIGOT (( DANGER )))

From: David Hanley
Has anyone been sucessful compiling CMUCL/CLX for linux?

CMUCK is great, but I would like to make a GUI someday! :)
dave
From: Pierre R. Mai
David Hanley <···@ncgr.org> writes:

> Has anyone been sucessful compiling CMUCL/CLX for linux?
>
> CMUCK is great, but I would like to make a GUI someday! :)
> dave

If you use the Debian packages of CMUCL (either directly on Debian, or
via alien on other distributions), then you can just use the cmucl-clx
package, which gives you a precompiled version.  You might possibly
want to use one of the higher-level GUI toolkits that work on top of
CLX, since CLX is just the equivalent of xlib for C, which is pretty
low-level.  GUI toolkits that are available include:

- Garnet (no Debian package AFAIK, but a patched version can be found
  in the ports collection at http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ IIRC)
- CLM (a Debian package of the CMUCL version of CLM is available as
  cmucl-clm), this needs either Motif or Lesstif libraries
- CLUE/CLIO (Debian packages are available)

There are a number of other possibilities, use DejaNews on
comp.lang.lisp to find out more about them...

Have fun,

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Marco Antoniotti
····@acm.org (Pierre R. Mai) writes:

> David Hanley <···@ncgr.org> writes:
>
> > Has anyone been sucessful compiling CMUCL/CLX for linux?
> >
> > CMUCK is great, but I would like to make a GUI someday! :)
> > dave
>
> If you use the Debian packages of CMUCL (either directly on Debian, or
> via alien on other distributions), then you can just use the cmucl-clx
> package, which gives you a precompiled version.  You might possibly
> want to use one of the higher-level GUI toolkits that work on top of
> CLX, since CLX is just the equivalent of xlib for C, which is pretty
> low-level.  GUI toolkits that are available include:
>
> - Garnet (no Debian package AFAIK, but a patched version can be found
>   in the ports collection at http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ IIRC)
> - CLM (a Debian package of the CMUCL version of CLM is available as
>   cmucl-clm), this needs either Motif or Lesstif libraries
> - CLUE/CLIO (Debian packages are available)
>
> There are a number of other possibilities, use DejaNews on
> comp.lang.lisp to find out more about them...

Don't forget that CMUCL comes with a pretty straightforward Motif
"binding", similar to CLM, but leaner.

Cheers

http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it/~marcoxa
From: Pierre R. Mai
Marco Antoniotti <·······@parades.rm.cnr.it> writes:

> > - Garnet (no Debian package AFAIK, but a patched version can be found
> >   in the ports collection at http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ IIRC)
> > - CLM (a Debian package of the CMUCL version of CLM is available as
> >   cmucl-clm), this needs either Motif or Lesstif libraries
> > - CLUE/CLIO (Debian packages are available)
> >
> > There are a number of other possibilities, use DejaNews on
> > comp.lang.lisp to find out more about them...
>
> Don't forget that CMUCL comes with a pretty straightforward Motif
> "binding", similar to CLM, but leaner.

Which is also called CLM, and is indeed the CLM I was referring to
above (unless there exists another CLM-thing for CMUCL).  The GMD CLM
(which is the basis of GINA) doesn't run out of the box on CMUCL,
IIRC, and would need some work...

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
"Pierre R. Mai" wrote:

> Marco Antoniotti <·······@parades.rm.cnr.it> writes:
>
> > > - Garnet (no Debian package AFAIK, but a patched version can be found
> > >   in the ports collection at http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ IIRC)
> > > - CLM (a Debian package of the CMUCL version of CLM is available as
> > >   cmucl-clm), this needs either Motif or Lesstif libraries
> > > - CLUE/CLIO (Debian packages are available)
> > >
> > > There are a number of other possibilities, use DejaNews on
> > > comp.lang.lisp to find out more about them...
> >
> > Don't forget that CMUCL comes with a pretty straightforward Motif
> > "binding", similar to CLM, but leaner.
>
> Which is also called CLM, and is indeed the CLM I was referring to
> above (unless there exists another CLM-thing for CMUCL).  The GMD CLM
> (which is the basis of GINA) doesn't run out of the box on CMUCL,
> IIRC, and would need some work...

Well, it does...

[Is Martin unreachable? I sent him mail a couple days ago but got no answer]