From: Frode Vatvedt Fjeld
Subject: line-break string-literal
Is it possible to line-break a string-literal in Common-Lisp, such
that the reader will recognize it as a single string?

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld

From: Christopher R. Barry
Subject: Re: line-break string-literal
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <······@acm.org> writes:

> Is it possible to line-break a string-literal in Common-Lisp, such
> that the reader will recognize it as a single string?

Newlines in a string literal won't break that string into two strings,
as you probably already know. I think what you meant to ask was if
there is a way to break a string into more than one line and have it
interpreted as if it were all on one line (insert non-literal
newlines, in other words). You can do this with FORMAT strings.

  "foo bar ~
   baz quux"

is equivalent to:

  "foo bar baz quux"

See:

  http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/HyperSpec/Body/sec_22-3.html

to have all the rules explained.

Christopher
From: Erik Naggum
* Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <······@acm.org>
| Is it possible to line-break a string-literal in Common-Lisp, such
| that the reader will recognize it as a single string?

  if you want to know if newlines are allowed in string literals in Common
  Lisp, the answer it yes, they are, and they need no special treatment.

#:Erik