From: ·········@my-deja.com
Subject: Lisp speed
I am an undergraduate in CS. In one of my courses, I worked in a
research project whose goal was to speed up Lisp.
Where on the web can I get more information/documentation concerning
optimizations for Lisp?

Thanks,
··········@yahoo.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Robert Monfera
Subject: Re: Lisp speed
CMUCL is famous for its optimizations, and you may freely obtain the
source.  There is a documentation, which describes some of the
optimizations:

http://www.mindspring.com/~rtoy/software/cmu-user/index.html

From: Marc Cavazza
·········@my-deja.com wrote:

> I am an undergraduate in CS. In one of my courses, I worked in a
> research project whose goal was to speed up Lisp.
> Where on the web can I get more information/documentation concerning
> optimizations for Lisp?

I'm assuming you refer to Lisp code optimisation?

You can check the ALU web page for Lisp style:
http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/style.htm
and there should be on-line slides from Norvig and Pitman somewhere as
well ...

Also Norvig's "Paradigms of AI" has a section on optimisation, and
Graham's ANSI Common Lisp
has a chapter dedicated to it (#13).

The first logical step would be profiling, though (depending on your
Lisp implementation)

Hope this helps,

Marc
From: Raymond Toy

    Marc> ·········@my-deja.com wrote:
    >> I am an undergraduate in CS. In one of my courses, I worked in a
    >> research project whose goal was to speed up Lisp.
    >> Where on the web can I get more information/documentation concerning
    >> optimizations for Lisp?

    Marc> I'm assuming you refer to Lisp code optimisation?

    Marc> You can check the ALU web page for Lisp style:
    Marc> http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/style.htm
    Marc> and there should be on-line slides from Norvig and Pitman somewhere as
    Marc> well ...

    Marc> Also Norvig's "Paradigms of AI" has a section on optimisation, and
    Marc> Graham's ANSI Common Lisp
    Marc> has a chapter dedicated to it (#13).

Also check out the CMUCL User's guide.  While specific to CMUCL, many
of the techniques also apply to other lisps.

Ray