From: Pete
Subject: Lisp examples
I'm a new Lisp developer and I'd like to get some examples from the
language. Where could I find some simple examples, preferibly about AI?

Thanks.

From: Andrew Cooke
Subject: Re: Lisp examples
Norvig's book (AI Programming - Case Studied in Common Lisp) and the CMU
AI repository
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository/ai/html/intro
.html .  Also, www.alu.org has may more links.

Andrew

In article <·················@cajamurcia.es>,
  Pete <·········@cajamurcia.es> wrote:
> I'm a new Lisp developer and I'd like to get some examples from the
> language. Where could I find some simple examples, preferibly about
AI?

> Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Jonathan
Andrew Cooke <······@andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
·················@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Norvig's book (AI Programming - Case Studied in Common Lisp) and the CMU
> AI repository
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository/ai/html/intro
> .html .  Also, www.alu.org has may more links.
>
> Andrew
>
> In article <·················@cajamurcia.es>,
>   Pete <·········@cajamurcia.es> wrote:
> > I'm a new Lisp developer and I'd like to get some examples from the
> > language. Where could I find some simple examples, preferibly about
> AI?
> >
> > Thanks.

Graham's "Common Lisp" also has some really nice examples - including a
raytracer and an html generator. It was the readability and elegance of
these examples that did most to sell me on Lisp (pun?)

Lisp is definitely a more readable language than the C family, and not just
because of its provision of high level data structures and hiding of
pointers. It's more readable than even the highest level Algoloid that I
know of,  Python, which shares these characteristics. I feel that Lisp's
scoping syntax is responsible - all those "lets" add code, but they're worth
it.

Lisp is also much more subtle than C, and what constitutes a good style is
perhaps more complex. My personal feeling is that code reading is a much
more important part of a Lisp programmer's education. That said I'm still
very new to Lisp, so this is a snapshot of the views of someone actually
learning Lisp.

Jonathan Coupe