From: E. Handelman
Subject: Highly obscure MacGambit Problem
The obscure problem is that (write-char (integer->char 10) <port>)
writes Hex 0D rather than 0A to <port>, as it should. This might seem
like a nitpick but it makes a big piece of code I just wrote totally
unusable, forcing me away from MacGambit which not a few weeks ago I was
recommending in favor of all other languages.  My machine btw is an
LC475 with the famous 80LC040 (if I got that right) processor that has
some sort of bug in it that I don't understand. I've picked through the
MacG compiler code to try to see how to write bytes to a stream without
depending on character conversion but sofar I'm clueless. Any ideas
very welcome.

Thanks,

-- eliot

From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: Highly obscure MacGambit Problem
* "E. Handelman" <·····@generation.net>
| The obscure problem is that ...

  ... you're posting a Scheme problem in a Common Lisp newsgroup. :)

#:Erik
From: E. Handelman
In article <················@naggum.no>, Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no>
wrote:

;* "E. Handelman" <·····@generation.net>
;| The obscure problem is that ...
;
;  ... you're posting a Scheme problem in a Common Lisp newsgroup. :)
;
;#:Erik

Aha, but the newsgroup name doesn't specify Common Lisp, if I may speak
here as a schemer.

-- eliot
From: Erik Naggum
* E. Handelman
| Aha, but the newsgroup name doesn't specify Common Lisp, if I may speak
| here as a schemer.

  however once with common roots, Lisp and Scheme have developed entirely
  different cultures and user communities, so there's not much to share
  between them, anymore.  that's probably the best reason other Schemers
  didn't want their newsgroup called comp.lang.lisp.scheme, so check out
  comp.lang.scheme.

#:Erik
From: Christopher R. Barry
"E. Handelman" <·····@generation.net> writes:

> In article <················@naggum.no>, Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no>
> wrote:
>
> ;* "E. Handelman" <·····@generation.net>
> ;| The obscure problem is that ...
> ;
> ;  ... you're posting a Scheme problem in a Common Lisp newsgroup. :)
> ;
> ;#:Erik
>
> Aha, but the newsgroup name doesn't specify Common Lisp, if I may speak
> here as a schemer.

The comp.lang.c newsgroup name doesn't specify ANSI C, and they'll
flame you away if you ask about sockets, threads, Unix/Windows
programming, whatever--anything not ANSI C.

We don't just discuss ANSI CL here though, we also discuss
multiprocessing, the MOP, etc. We don't usually discuss Scheme, unless
we are criticizing it, however. So you would probably find c.l.scheme
and the MacGambit maintener/tech-support people more useful.

Christopher
From: E. Handelman
In article <··············@2xtreme.net>, ······@2xtreme.net
(Christopher R. Barry) wrote:

; We don't usually discuss Scheme, unless
;we are criticizing it, however. So you would probably find c.l.scheme
;and the MacGambit maintener/tech-support people more useful.

He was, as it happened. I'm also well aware of the differences between
scheme and CL. I apologize for the intrusion.

-- eliot