From: Mark Carroll
Subject: Pretty printouts
Are there any freely-available programs I can use to print Common Lisp
source code nicely to a PostScript printer? e.g. rendering string and
symbol literals differently from function names, etc...

-- Mark

From: Pierre R. Mai
Subject: Re: Pretty printouts
Mark Carroll <·····@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Are there any freely-available programs I can use to print Common Lisp
> source code nicely to a PostScript printer? e.g. rendering string and
> symbol literals differently from function names, etc...

a) In (x)Emacs you can print buffers with the face information
   (ps-print-buffer-with-faces).  This doesn't look very good on
   monochrome printers IMHO (at least without tweaking).

b) a2ps has a mode for fontifying (Common) Lisp, which IMHO produces
   very ugly output, but this can be tweaked.

c) There are a couple of TeX/LaTeX modes/tools for outputting CL,
   among them vgrind (IIRC), which should do a better job.  Take a
   look at www.alu.org, which does have references to some of them
   IIRC.

All in all I don't believe in printing source code (whether fontified
or not) unless absolutely necessary and then in small quantities
(e.g. example code in books)...

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <····@acm.org>         PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 18 Oct 1999 14:25:24 +0100 (BST), Mark Carroll
<·····@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Are there any freely-available programs I can use to print Common Lisp
> source code nicely to a PostScript printer? e.g. rendering string and
> symbol literals differently from function names, etc...

Try SLaTeX by Dorai Sitaram. It supports both Scheme and Common Lisp
formatting. You can generate PostScript from the DVI output. I don't have
the exact URL handy, but you can reach it from the Web site of the Rice
University PLT group:

  http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/

Paolo