From: ckl
Subject: cgi with lisp
I am looking for a good LISP alternative for perl for use with a webserver
like apache.
(cl-http is not an option for me unfortunately)

From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: cgi with lisp
"ckl" <··········@cadservices.nl> writes:

> I am looking for a good LISP alternative for perl for use with a webserver
> like apache.
> (cl-http is not an option for me unfortunately)

If you can be more specific, I might be able to give you some
pointers.  You'll have to describe what aspects of CGI you need.

My first guess, though, is that it will be hard to replace CGI.pm with
Lisp.

In your followup, it will also be useful to know what Lisp
implementation you're using.

dave
From: ckl
From: Christopher C Stacy
From: Espen Vestre
Christopher C Stacy <······@world.std.com> writes:

> It doesn't matter what language your CGI program is written in.
> So you can replace your Perl scripts with executable (.EXE) programs
> that were written in Lisp and run them under Apache.

But any CGI solution is really quite stupid.  Does anyone know what it
would take to make an apache 'backend' (uh, the apache nomenclature slips
my mind right now) that would connect to a multithreaded lisp server,
just like java solutions like JRun or Jserv?  Don't get me wrong, I
still think an all-lisp webserver is a more interesting solution, but
using lisp as a 'servlet' or 'application server' behind apache may
be politically much easier achievable in a lot of environments.

--
  (espen)
From: Jason Trenouth
On 15 Oct 1999 09:36:46 +0200, Espen Vestre
<·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> wrote:

> Christopher C Stacy <······@world.std.com> writes:
>
> > It doesn't matter what language your CGI program is written in.
> > So you can replace your Perl scripts with executable (.EXE) programs
> > that were written in Lisp and run them under Apache.
>
> But any CGI solution is really quite stupid.  Does anyone know what it
> would take to make an apache 'backend' (uh, the apache nomenclature slips
> my mind right now) that would connect to a multithreaded lisp server,
> just like java solutions like JRun or Jserv?  Don't get me wrong, I
> still think an all-lisp webserver is a more interesting solution, but
> using lisp as a 'servlet' or 'application server' behind apache may
> be politically much easier achievable in a lot of environments.

Well one solution, in theory, would be to use the ORBit (*) module for Apache
and Franz's ORBLink. Bascially you get the Apache web server and the Common
Lisp application talking to each other via CORBA. I haven't tried this myself
so I don't know if the components are up to it.

__Jason

(*) ORBit is a free C ORB.
From: Kaelin Colclasure
Espen Vestre <·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> wrote in message
···················@wallace.nextel.no...
[...]
> But any CGI solution is really quite stupid.  Does anyone know what it
> would take to make an apache 'backend' (uh, the apache nomenclature slips
> my mind right now)

Apache module.

> that would connect to a multithreaded lisp server,
> just like java solutions like JRun or Jserv?

This is one component of a package I am working on. The ultimate fate of
the package vis a vis releasing it open source is still being debated,
but this piece I can certainly justify releasing. (It's part of Apache,
after all.)

Give me a day or two to package it all up as a stand-alone module.
I'll announce its availability here on the newsgroup.

> Don't get me wrong, I
> still think an all-lisp webserver is a more interesting solution, but
> using lisp as a 'servlet' or 'application server' behind apache may
> be politically much easier achievable in a lot of environments.

This has certainly been my experience -- and is a primary motivation for
the project I'm working on. And let me say that Lisp is a much more
compelling language for building an app server than Java will ever be.

-- Kaelin
From: forcer
Espen Vestre <·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> writes:

> Does anyone know what it would take to make an apache 'backend'
> (uh, the apache nomenclature slips my mind right now) that
> would connect to a multithreaded lisp server, just like java
> solutions like JRun or Jserv?

You probably mean "module" - you need to write it in C (or perl
*cough*), a nice book on the topic is ``Writing Apache modules
with Perl and C''.  It's not too hard, and would certainly be
interesting.

Also, i'm currently writing on mod_guile, an apache module which
allows apache to be extended using Scheme, and will have an
optimized loader for Scheme CGI's.  Don't hold your breath, i'm
still missing first-class-environments in Guile :(

	-forcer

--
((email . ·······@mindless.com")       (www . "http://forcix.cx/")
 (irc   . ·······@#StarWars (IRCnet)") (gpg . "/other/forcer.gpg"))
From: Fernando
On 15 Oct 1999 11:27:41 +0200, forcer <······@mindless.com> wrote:

>Also, i'm currently writing on mod_guile, an apache module which
>allows apache to be extended using Scheme, and will have an
>optimized loader for Scheme CGI's.  Don't hold your breath, i'm

Sorry but I can't avoid it. :-)

>still missing first-class-environments in Guile :(

Please, let us know when it's done... O:-)

//	Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//	frr at mindless dot com
From: ···@erian-concept.com
In article <············@reader1.wxs.nl>,
  "ckl" <··········@cadservices.nl> wrote:
> I am looking for a good LISP alternative for perl for use with a
webserver
> like apache.
> (cl-http is not an option for me unfortunately)

OpenScheme has all the material need to make powerful GCI (network
interface, database, ...)

It is now successfully used in France by ForceSud / Carrefour to handle
an online catalog. The site is under construction and it is in
French, but it can give you an idea (http://www.force-sud.com)

All the strings and variables in this site are get from a profile
.ini file, so it is completely customizable. As the customer wanted
to evaluate Internet, the site is kept very simple.

The sources of this site are given with the commercial professional
edition of OpenScheme.

Best regards.

Guilhem de Wailly

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/