From: Patti
Subject: Trouble opening up a MIME file
Hi,
I have a MAC and whenever I receive a email with a MIME attached to it when
I download it and try to open it up it usually opens up in simple text or it
might say file to large to open but anyway when I do get it to open up its
just a bunch of gimberish. The persons are trying to send jpgs so there
should be elements attached to it, it's not just text that is the MIME
attachment. So my question is: Is there any software I can get to open up a
MIME document so I get the attachments that are supposed to be there? I have
a Mac. I would greatly appreciate your help on this.
Thanks,
Patti

                      http://www.help.com/
From: David Bakhash
Subject: Re: Trouble opening up a MIME file
Patti <··········@aol.com> writes:

> I have a MAC and whenever I receive a email with a MIME attached to it when
> attachment. So my question is: Is there any software I can get to open up a
> MIME document so I get the attachments that are supposed to be there? I have
> a Mac. I would greatly appreciate your help on this.

I don't know why you posted to comp.lang.lisp, but here's the answer:

If you use a MAC, and want to read MIME attachments, it's hard to
believe that there's a single MAC mail application that wouldn't
support MIME.  MIME falls right into the category of things that MACs
always handle.  But, how well it handles MIME is another story.

If you want, you can use IE (and outlook express, I guess) for the
MAC.  Microsoft ported IE to the MAC, and I'm guessing they did so for
Outlook Express as well.  However, it's not what I use, especially for
mail.

I use a package called VM, which runs inside Emacs (for which I'm sure
there's a port for the MAC).  It handles MIME better than any other
application I've ever used, but it may require a bit of customization.

relevant links are:

http://www.wonderworks.com/vm
http://www.gnu.org

good luck,
dave

(p.s.incidentially, VM is written in Lisp)