From: Denis
Subject: Common Lisp, The Language
Hello,

there is an excellent reference out there, called Common Lisp, The
Language by Guy L. Steele Jr.

I need to use it for my class, so I would like to print it out.

Does anyone know where I can access it as ONE HTML FILE ( PS/PDF/ASCII
are fine as well )

The only place I've seen it at has it as a small topic per page, which
will probably take me a lifetime to print, and waste a lot of paper.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Common Lisp, The Language
In article <············@nnrp1.deja.com>, Denis  <······@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>there is an excellent reference out there, called Common Lisp, The
>Language by Guy L. Steele Jr.
>
>I need to use it for my class, so I would like to print it out.
>

>Does anyone know where I can access it as ONE HTML FILE ( PS/PDF/ASCII
>are fine as well )

The page I went to has links to it in a number of other formats, and those
appear to be single files.  For instance,
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/doc/cltl/cltl_ps.tgz>
is a gzip'ed tar archive containing a README file and a 7MB PS file.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
From: Russ Urquhart
While i was able to download this, i was unable to, using my current
Solaris 2.7 versions of gunzip or tar, to ever extract the PS file! does
any have this as either a GZ file or as a plain tar file?

thanks

Russ
From: Christopher R. Barry
Russ Urquhart <······@aud.alcatel.com> writes:

> While i was able to download this, i was unable to, using my current
> Solaris 2.7 versions of gunzip or tar, to ever extract the PS file! does
> any have this as either a GZ file or as a plain tar file?

Did you remember to set the ftp mode to binary?  :-)

Christopher
From: Chuck Fry
I'd like to raise a couple of points.  First, while CLtL remains a fine
reference book, technically it does not represent the current ANSI
Common Lisp standard.

Second, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the book instead of
downloading and printing it??
 -- Chuck

--
	    Chuck Fry -- Jack of all trades, master of none
 ······@chucko.com (text only please)  ········@home.com (MIME enabled)
From: Raymond Toy

    Chuck> Second, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the book instead of
    Chuck> downloading and printing it??

Well, he's a student, so the printer and paper are probably "free", so
it would be "cheaper".

But I would certainly buy the book because it's much easier to read
and thumb through than a binder full of loose-leaf pages, especially a
book that's 500 pages long....

Ray
From: Denis
In article <··············@rtp.ericsson.se>,
  Raymond Toy <···@rtp.ericsson.se> wrote:

>     Chuck> Second, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the book
instead of
>     Chuck> downloading and printing it??
>
> Well, he's a student, so the printer and paper are probably "free",
so
> it would be "cheaper".
>
> But I would certainly buy the book because it's much easier to read
> and thumb through than a binder full of loose-leaf pages, especially
> book that's 500 pages long....
>
> Ray

both of you are entirely correct. I do, in fact, prefer books.
Printer in my case is free.

However, the main reason is that when printing, I have a luxury of
selecting parts that I need. It is still, however, not easy
to pick those parts from the book posted on the web ( it's something
like a node per page )

There is a postscript version that I found following the link in the
earlier post.( THANKS , Barry ) which is better.

From: kalh
Denis wrote:

> However, the main reason is that when printing, I have a luxury of
> selecting parts that I need. It is still, however, not easy
> to pick those parts from the book posted on the web ( it's something
> like a node per page )
>
> There is a postscript version that I found following the link in the
> earlier post.( THANKS , Barry ) which is better.

There is an ASCII version at http://www.corman.net/PowerLisp.html

It's pretty useful for finding particular subjects quickly.
From: David Combs
In article <··············@nntp1.ba.best.com>,
Chuck Fry <······@best.com> wrote:
>I'd like to raise a couple of points.  First, while CLtL remains a fine
>reference book, technically it does not represent the current ANSI
>Common Lisp standard.

What IS a good one that's also current?

Thanks

David
From: Robert Monfera
David Combs wrote:

> In article <··············@nntp1.ba.best.com>,
> Chuck Fry <······@best.com> wrote:
> >I'd like to raise a couple of points.  First, while CLtL remains a fine
> >reference book, technically it does not represent the current ANSI
> >Common Lisp standard.
> >

> What IS a good one that's also current?

The Common Lisp Hyperspec by Kent Pitman, which is identical to the
paper-only ANSI CL standard for practical purposes.

Go to www.alu.org or www.harlequin.com to locate a copy.

Robert
From: Gilbert Baumann
Denis <······@my-deja.com> writes:
> there is an excellent reference out there, called Common Lisp, The
> Language by Guy L. Steele Jr.
>
> I need to use it for my class, so I would like to print it out.
>

> Does anyone know where I can access it as ONE HTML FILE ( PS/PDF/ASCII
> are fine as well )

The LaTeX sources of CLTL used to be available via ftp. And still they seem
to be:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/doc/cltl/

Gilbert.
--
;;; You know you have hacked Lisp too much, when you m-c-x in a C buffer.