From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Syntax of DISASSEMBLE for CMU CL and ACL under x86 Linux
What syntax is used by the output of the DISASSEMBLE form of CMU CL and ACL
under x86 Linux? AT&T (source operand followed by destination operand) or
Intel (destination before source)?

Paolo

From: ·····@onshore.com
·······@mclink.it (Paolo Amoroso) writes:

> What syntax is used by the output of the DISASSEMBLE form of CMU CL and ACL
> under x86 Linux? AT&T (source operand followed by destination operand) or
> Intel (destination before source)?

Both lisps seem to print using Intel syntax.

Regards,
Jesse

From: Duane Rettig
·······@mclink.it (Paolo Amoroso) writes:

> What syntax is used by the output of the DISASSEMBLE form of CMU CL and ACL
> under x86 Linux? AT&T (source operand followed by destination operand) or
> Intel (destination before source)?

For the Allegro CL of the late '80s and early '90s, we used to create
our own syntax for disassemble output, like many other lisps.  Perhaps
some of it was for some obfuscation, or perhaps more to make it more
"lispy".

Nowadays, our main criterion for the format of the disassemble output
is that it look like the architecture manual for the chip in question,
so that any person who would be interested in reading the disassemble
output can find documentation for it immediately.  Thus, the answer to
the question is: the Intel manuals, which state destination before
source.

Of course, this creates a problem on x86 between Allegro CL output and
other tools for users of the other style assembler source or disassemble
outputs, such as gcc on linux or freebsd, but since the output of the
disassembler is not usable as assembler input anyway for other reasons,
there should be no more problem switching styles between gcc and
Allegro CL than between gcc and the x86 manuals.

--
Duane Rettig          Franz Inc.            http://www.franz.com/ (www)
1995 University Ave Suite 275  Berkeley, CA 94704