From: Hyunchul  Jay Kim
Subject: What does this mean?  Error: Attempt to set the value of nil to nil.
Can anyone please tell what is error message is about?

Error: Attempt to set the value of nil to nil.

Thanks.
- Jay

From: Espen Vestre
Hyunchul  Jay Kim <········@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Can anyone please tell what is error message is about?
>
> Error: Attempt to set the value of nil to nil.
>
> Thanks.
> - Jay

maybe that you try to change the value of the constant NIL?

--
  (espen)
From: Martin
In article <··············@wallace.nextel.no>, Espen Vestre <·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> wrote:
>Hyunchul  Jay Kim <········@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> Can anyone please tell what is error message is about?
>>
>> Error: Attempt to set the value of nil to nil.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> - Jay
>>

>maybe that you try to change the value of the constant NIL?

I would think that using SET intead of SETQ would produce this result if the
destination variable is nil...

Martin
From: Fernando D. Mato Mira
Martin wrote:

> I would think that using SET intead of SETQ would produce this result if the
> destination variable is nil...

Indeed. The first question that came to my mind was "What Lisp are you using?"..

--
((( DANGER )) LISP BIGOT (( DANGER )) LISP BIGOT (( DANGER )))

Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Eng & Networking
Advanced Systems Engineering Division
CSEM
Jaquet-Droz 1                   email: matomira AT acm DOT org
CH-2007 Neuchatel                 tel:       +41 (32) 720-5157
Switzerland                       FAX:       +41 (32) 720-5720

www.csem.ch      www.vrai.com     ligwww.epfl.ch/matomira.html
From: Stig Hemmer
Hyunchul  Jay Kim <········@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
> Can anyone please tell what is error message is about?
> Error: Attempt to set the value of nil to nil.

NIL is a constant.  It should not be changed.  The system isn't smart
enough to see that you "change" it to the same value, NIL.

What code are you trying to run when you get this message?

Stig Hemmer,
Jack of a Few Trades.
From: Erik Naggum
* Stig Hemmer <····@pvv.ntnu.no>
| NIL is a constant.  It should not be changed.  The system isn't smart
| enough to see that you "change" it to the same value, NIL.

  that would be too smart for its own good.  it's the setting of a constant
  that is an error, not the value you attempt to set it to.  (the error
  message is thus a wee bit confusing in allowing that interpretation.)

#:Erik