From: Will Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: Conceptual Dependency in Lisp

>Franco Meroni wrote:
>
>> Hi to all
>>               have anyone realized a program in Lisp using the Conceptual
>> Dependency Theory of Roger Schank ?
>> Ciao Franco
>
>You will find various Schankian implementations in the book "Inside
Computer
>Understanding. Five Programs plus Miniatures", though not Common Lisp for
>obvious reasons
>
>Unless this is an assignment (homework ;-), I must point that CD is not
>exactly ...mmm
>state-of-the-art in NLP. You'll find some NLP Lisp code in Gazdar and
>Mellish's
>"NLP in Lisp" (though their Lisp style cannot be considered as "mainstream"
>these days)
>Also, Norvig's textbook has a good chapter on parsing.
>
>Marc

Although Conceptual Dependency theory may not be an active research area
(and thus, perhaps, not 'state of the art'), it still remains a useful way
to think about sentence semantics.  It remains odd that most (not all, but
most) research in NLP ignore semantics.

Code from "Inside Case-Based Reasoning" can be found at the CMU AI
Repository, at
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/areas/reasonng/case_b
sd/riesbeck/0.html>

This code _is_ in Common Lisp (unlike "Insider Computer Understanding"). The
code for the DMAP (Direct Memory Access Parser) is a very useful starting
point for building semantic parsers.