From: Alexander Fordyce
Subject: CMUCL-specific questions -- Python 1.5.2 vs. 1.0?  Docs?
Hi all.  I hope someone can answer a CMU CL specific question or two.
I tried mailing the support addresses I found in an online manual, but
the mail bounced (old manual I guess).

Anyway, I've just installed CMU CL 18b on my Linux machine.  So far so
good.  It really does run right out of the box if you put the bits in
the proper places.  It came with no documentation, so I had to guess
where to put things and how to configure it -- I'm glad they made it so
simple.

That leads to my first question.  All the online references I can find
refer to a doc/ directory in the distribution, but I've downloaded
several (source and binary), and no docs.  Not even a README.  I have
found a users manual at mindspring (cmu-new.html) which tells me about
the implementation (data types supported, etc.), but it would be nice
to have installation and configuration info and the like.

If I could find the previous, it would probably answer my next
question, which is about the much-hyped Python compiler.  When I
started up cmucl for the first time, it reported:

   Loaded subsystems:
       Python 1.0, target Intel x86
       CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
       CLX X Library MIT R5.02
       Motif toolkit and graphical debugger 1.0
       Hemlock 3.5...

...except I have Python 1.5.2 installed on my machine already.  Is it
using its own pre-packaged Python?  If so, is there a way to make it
use my spiffy new 1.5.2?  If so, will it work with the new Python?
(...and Sept 92 seems like an awfully long time ago.  Is this the most
recent version of PCL?)

Sorry for the barrage... I'm really looking forward to digging into
this.  I'm going to try their new version with support for longfloats,
but I'd like some more info about the above stuff before I do.

Thanks in advance,
Alex Fordyce
····@ax-im.com

From: Eric Marsden
Subject: Re: CMUCL-specific questions -- Python 1.5.2 vs. 1.0?  Docs?

  af> I hope someone can answer a CMU CL specific question or two. I
  af> tried mailing the support addresses I found in an online manual,
  af> but the mail bounced (old manual I guess).

the CMUCL web page is at <URL:http://cmucl.cons.org/>, which will
point you to current mailing list addresses.

  af>    Loaded subsystems:
  af>        Python 1.0, target Intel x86
  af>        CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
  af>        CLX X Library MIT R5.02
  af>        Motif toolkit and graphical debugger 1.0
  af>        Hemlock 3.5...
  af>
  af> ..except I have Python 1.5.2 installed on my machine already. Is
  af> it using its own pre-packaged Python? If so, is there a way to
  af> make it use my spiffy new 1.5.2?

I think you are confusing the Python programming language (first
released around 1990) with the native code compiler included with
CMUCL, also called Python, and whose development started in the early
1980s.

  af> (...and Sept 92 seems like an awfully long time ago. Is this the
  af> most recent version of PCL?)

the CLOS code in CMUCL is regularly updated; 1992 is the date of the
fork from the PCL code developed at Xerox.

--
Eric Marsden
It's elephants all the way down
From: Christopher R. Barry
Alexander Fordyce <····@ax-im.com> writes:

>    Loaded subsystems:
>        Python 1.0, target Intel x86
>        CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
>        CLX X Library MIT R5.02
>        Motif toolkit and graphical debugger 1.0
>        Hemlock 3.5...
>
> ...except I have Python 1.5.2 installed on my machine already.  Is it
> using its own pre-packaged Python?

Python is the name of the CMU CL compiler, not some hip scripting
language. ··········@cons.org is a good place for CMU CL specific
questions. The Debian CMU CL packages at debian.org are the best place
to get CMU CL, unless you want experimental binaries.

Christopher
From: Clemens Heitzinger
Alexander Fordyce <····@ax-im.com> wrote:

> Hi all.  I hope someone can answer a CMU CL specific question or two.
> I tried mailing the support addresses I found in an online manual, but
> the mail bounced (old manual I guess).

http://www.cons.org

There is mailing list at cmucl-help [at] cons [dot] org which you might
want to subscribe to.

> If I could find the previous, it would probably answer my next
> question, which is about the much-hyped Python compiler.  When I
> started up cmucl for the first time, it reported:
>
>    Loaded subsystems:
>        Python 1.0, target Intel x86
>        CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
>        CLX X Library MIT R5.02
>        Motif toolkit and graphical debugger 1.0
>        Hemlock 3.5...
>
> ...except I have Python 1.5.2 installed on my machine already.  Is it
> using its own pre-packaged Python?  If so, is there a way to make it
> use my spiffy new 1.5.2?  If so, will it work with the new Python?

The python language and the Common Lisp compiler of CMUCL called Python
are two entirely different things.  It's just a coincidence of naming.

> (...and Sept 92 seems like an awfully long time ago.  Is this the most
> recent version of PCL?)

I don't think PCL is still independently maintained since most CL
implementations have their own, well integrated CLOS.  I assume the date
"September 16 92" is there for historic reasons; it has been stable and
adhering to the standard since then and nobody cares to change the date
when bugs are fixed.

--
Clemens Heitzinger
http://ag.or.at:8000/~clemens   (Lisp related material)
From: Alexander Fordyce
Thanks for the help, folks... and so quick!

I guess Python was such a good name that it was bound to get used more
than once.

And in an independent message, I found out what was up with the
documentation...

  > There has been an attempt to combine
  > all relavent documentation. Most stuff can be found
  > in http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl except the host
  > computer has been down with a dead disk. It is supposed
  > to be available soon.

Assuming availability of previous, subsequent questions will be less
"newbie" :-)

Thanks,
Alex

From: Tim Bradshaw
* Alexander Fordyce wrote:

> (...and Sept 92 seems like an awfully long time ago.  Is this the most
> recent version of PCL?)

Well, the announcement of the cessation of development on PCL was 17
Apr 1990, so I think 92 is a fairly late date in PCL terms!

(Although I think there were a bunch of releases after the `official'
end of the project).

--tim
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 5 Nov 1999 11:20:25 -0600, Alexander Fordyce <····@ax-im.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I've just installed CMU CL 18b on my Linux machine.  So far so
> good.  It really does run right out of the box if you put the bits in
> the proper places.  It came with no documentation, so I had to guess
> where to put things and how to configure it -- I'm glad they made it so
> simple.

This might suggest that the CMU CL maintainers need more help from
volunteers ;-)

> That leads to my first question.  All the online references I can find
> refer to a doc/ directory in the distribution, but I've downloaded
> several (source and binary), and no docs.  Not even a README.  I have

I collected most--if not all--CMU CL documentation in the EncyCMUCLopedia.
See my signature below. The cvs2.cons.org machine, however, is currently
down because of a hardware problem.

The CMU CL HOWTO by Daniel Barlow explains how to install and set up on
Linux a development environment based on CMU CL. The document is included
with the EncyCMUCLopedia, but since the latter is currently unavailable
it's better to get the HOWTO from the author's site:

  http://www.telent.net/lisp/howto.html

> question, which is about the much-hyped Python compiler.  When I

Could you elaborate on this? Is the CMU CL Python compiler hyped?

Paolo