From: Bulent Murtezaoglu
Subject: "Lisp w/o a brain"
I came across this while mindlessly browsing the web.  Abelson's (one of
SICP authors) name appears as one of the authors of the document.  You want
to scroll down all the way down to find the section "Lisp w/o a brain."
I thought it was interesting (more so than ways of getting f.....g books
to Germany):

http://6916.lcs.mit.edu/manuals/tcl/introduction.adp

cheers,

BM

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: "Lisp w/o a brain"
In article <··············@kapi.internal>, Bulent Murtezaoglu <··@acm.org> wrote:

> I came across this while mindlessly browsing the web.  Abelson's (one of
> SICP authors) name appears as one of the authors of the document.  You want
> to scroll down all the way down to find the section "Lisp w/o a brain."
> I thought it was interesting (more so than ways of getting f.....g books
> to Germany):
>
> http://6916.lcs.mit.edu/manuals/tcl/introduction.adp
>
> cheers,
>
> BM

So instead you are posting more FUD? Interesting.
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·······················@mac-rjo.work.maz.net>,
Rainer Joswig <······@lavielle.com> wrote:
>In article <··············@kapi.internal>, Bulent Murtezaoglu <··@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> I came across this while mindlessly browsing the web.  Abelson's (one of
>> SICP authors) name appears as one of the authors of the document.  You want
>> to scroll down all the way down to find the section "Lisp w/o a brain."
>> I thought it was interesting (more so than ways of getting f.....g books
>> to Germany):
>>
>> http://6916.lcs.mit.edu/manuals/tcl/introduction.adp

>So instead you are posting more FUD? Interesting.

Actually, that section of the book is basically just a brief restatement of
the "Worse is Better" philosophy that we're all too familiar with.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 01 Nov 1999 04:11:56 -0500, Bulent Murtezaoglu <··@acm.org> wrote:

> SICP authors) name appears as one of the authors of the document.  You want
> to scroll down all the way down to find the section "Lisp w/o a brain."
[...]
> http://6916.lcs.mit.edu/manuals/tcl/introduction.adp

Near the end of the document the authors state:

  "Lisp developers have the satisfaction of knowing that they got it right
  30 years before anyone else. But that's about all they have to show for
  40 years of hard work and hundreds of millions of dollars in government
  and private funding."

It would be interesting to estimate the cost of the "Lisp wheel
reinvention" activity that has been going on in the industry for decades.

Paolo
From: ··········@lmco.com
Subject: Q: Who Owns the Zebra in LISP?
I'm looking for a general representation/method to solve problems like
"Who Owns the Zebra" using LISP in any flavor. I have the solution in
PROLOG, it is very specific, and doesn't separate the data and the
constraints (rules). I'm not looking for code so much as generalized
method. I'd appreciate any pointers and pseudo-code (meta-linguistic
abstraction) to help me kick-start it.

                    Thanx,
                    Hank Simon

Here's the problem for those who haven't seen it.  It takes about 20
minutes to solve using a manual, matrix-fill-in approach.

Who Owns the Zebra?
1. There are 5 houses of different color on a street, the
inhabitants are of different nationalities, different pets, smoke
different cigarettes and drink different drinks.
2. The Englishman lives in the Red House.
3. The Spaniard owns the dog.
4. Coffee is drunk by the man living in the Green House.
5. The Ukranian drinks tea.
6. The Green House is to your right of the Ivory House.
7. The man who smokes Old Gold owns Snails.
8. The man who smokes Kools lives in the Yellow House.
9. The man in the middle house drinks milk.
10. The Norwegian lives in the first house on the left.
11. The man who smokes Chesterfields, lives next to the man who owns the
fox.
12. The man who smokes Kools, lives next to the man who owns the horse.
13. The man who smokes Lucky Strikes, drinks orange juice.
14. The Japanese smokes Parliaments
15. The Norwegian lives next to the Blue House.
                    Who drinks Water and Who owns the Zebra?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
From: Jim Driese
Subject: Re: Q: Who Owns the Zebra in LISP?
··········@lmco.com wrote:

> I'm looking for a general representation/method to solve problems like
> "Who Owns the Zebra" using LISP in any flavor.

[deleted]

Try _Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence:  Case Studies in Common Lisp_ by
Peter Norvig.  He solved this problem by first implementing Prolog in Lisp
and using the Zebra problem to test the interpreter.  The code is available
on line at:

http://www.norvig.com

This is one of my favorite books.

Regards,

Jim Driese
From: Jeff Dalton
··········@lmco.com writes:

It looks like a constraint satisfaction problem (CSP), and it's
not very hard to write a CSP engine in Lisp.  Indeed, someone ought
to do this, in a way that allowed the algorithm to be plugged-in
(because there are so many CSP algoroithms around), and make it
available on the net (if someone hasn't already done so).
From: Reini Urban
Jeff Dalton wrote:
>It looks like a constraint satisfaction problem (CSP), and it's
>not very hard to write a CSP engine in Lisp.  Indeed, someone ought
>to do this, in a way that allowed the algorithm to be plugged-in
>(because there are so many CSP algoroithms around), and make it
>available on the net (if someone hasn't already done so).

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/constraints/deltablue/
has a common lisp implementation.
But I doubt if it can be applied to the Zebra problem.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html